Whole family allowed gastric bypass on NHS!!

All that money spent on self inflicted treatment.

Must have been eating like pigs for years.

Where do you draw the line?

A whole family allowed NHS treatment for smoke related illnesses.

So, the NHS is paying for your father's cancer treatment. Why shouldn't other people benefit from the NHS?

Are you having a laugh?!

You generally get fat because you are greedy and lazy, you can do something about it (stop eating so much and start moving more), you can't do anything about having cancer. Do not even TRY to compare the two.

If you want to lose weight and you do it properly you can lose weight - its especially easy to lose when you have more to lose, its as you have less to go that it gets harder.

I believe the NHS should always provide the best cancer treatment available without question, to all patients. I also believe that the country has enough resources to do this, if the government would get THEIR priorities right. The point I was making is that the costs to the NHS in the long term for this family would more than likely have outweighed the costs of the ops, so why not allow them better quality of life with that money?

Could have chosen a less topical word there DV :)

Could have chosen a less topical word there DV :)

:hihi::hihi: Must be my skinny subconscious self! :hihi:

Where do you draw the line?

A whole family allowed NHS treatment for smoke related illnesses.

And could that not already be the case? How many asthmatcis do we now have ?

I hope that in the longer term the decision to give this family treatment is vindicated and that they do go on to have long and healthy (ie cheaper to the NHS) lives.

you can't do anything about having cancer. Do not even TRY to compare the two.

Wouldn’t that depend on the type of cancer.

Ps

I don’t need a lecture, my mother in-law died of cancer and my father in-law as months to live.

Are you having a laugh?!

You generally get fat because you are greedy and lazy, you can do something about it (stop eating so much and start moving more), you can't do anything about having cancer. Do not even TRY to compare the two.

If you want to lose weight and you do it properly you can lose weight - its especially easy to lose when you have more to lose, its as you have less to go that it gets harder.

Actually you can -and as obesity in itself is a risk factor in the development in the disease - as is poor eating habits - then you could say these ops have actually possibly prevented that disease in this family ergo saving money down the line.

Wouldn’t that depend on the type of cancer.

Ps

I don’t need a lecture, my mother in-law died of cancer and my father in-law as months to live.

Fair enough - however everyone I know who has cancer hasn't done anything to contribute to the cause of it.

People who compare self inflicted issues to things that they cannot do anything about drive me insane.

Overeating isn't a disease - and neither is alcoholism. Both are choices. You choose to eat to excess and you choose to drink your life away. You CAN stop doing them.

Unfortunately, for many, the days of being able to afford 'a correct diet' are gone. 4 Goodfellas pizzas for £4 or fresh chicken/salmon, fresh veg for 4, how much do you think that would cost in the supermarket?

Agreed - it is criminal that manufacturers are allowed to produce and sell some of the products that they describe as "food"....

Actually you can -and as obesity in itself is a risk factor in the development in the disease - as is poor eating habits - then you could say these ops have actually possibly prevented that disease in this family ergo saving money down the line.

Which they should have done themselves by not getting to that point in the first place. Why do they have to have other people bail them out of their self inflicted issues.

Which they should have done themselves by not getting to that point in the first place. Why do they have to have other people bail them out of their self inflicted issues.

But what is the alternative? leave them "huge" and thus needing much more input from the NHS; that would be the wasteful choice.

If however, having had these life changing ops, they do not change their habits then my view would certainly change ....but this would be the same for anyone who used our precious resource (alcholics and new livers/ asthmatcis who smoke/ diabetics who mis eat) and who do not then make the required effort that is needed of them.

Overeating isn't a disease - and neither is alcoholism. Both are choices. You choose to eat to excess and you choose to drink your life away. You CAN stop doing them.

Its not as simple as that , you can choose to stop smoking, you can choose to stop playing sport, you can choose not to drive a car ………. They all lead to “self” inflicted injuries.