WEEKEND FISHING TRAINS 60s

Not the trains specifically but right period and locations.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-hook-line-and-sheffield-1963-online

and if that link doesn't work try this one which has a written description-

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/hook-line-and-sheffield

-------------------------

Thanks for your picture Person6, the first pic takes me back on my

fishing day and use to go one works matches. sweep steaks was great

too had many a good day on bankside then calling at a pub on our

way home from the match. I never won a match bur came 3rd and

won a cuterly set. Like the Victoria Station story true words.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I remember going on these fishermen's excursion trains in the late 1950s and early 1960s, with my uncle and older brother. I think the trains ran to Woodhall Junction, calling at Gainsborough, Saxilby, Lincoln, Washingborough, Five Mile House, Bardney, Southrey and Stixwould, but sometimes the train would continue to Dogdyke, Langrick and Boston. You would often see the same people week after week, and there was a lot of "camaraderie" on the train, especially among the regulars. And of course, on the way home there would be lots of stories (true, usually...) about the fish we'd caught - or just failed to catch... ;) Happy days!.:)

As for fishing trips from Sheffield. What happened during mid-week when blokes were perhaps on summer holiday, did they have to make their own arrangements like hiring coaches (if they're were enough blokes.) ?

Apart from fishermen's excursions the ordinary service trains called at these stations, though the standard fares were higher. You would normally change at Lincoln for stations on the line to Woodhall Junction and Boston.

Fishing in midweek, Jeffcock,s coaches from Castlegate, went to Newark,and the Fortyfoot, the Witham,to Landrick, Chapel Hill, Tattersall and on to Boston. These were popular trips at the time. I think they ran on Tuesday and Thursday and weekends, but going on the train I enjoyed the most.

Apart from fishermen's excursions the ordinary service trains called at these stations, though the standard fares were higher. You would normally change at Lincoln for stations on the line to Woodhall Junction and Boston.

What about nowadays Mr.H. is it personal transport ?

What about nowadays Mr.H. is it personal transport ?
You can still go by train to Gainsborough, Saxilby and Lincoln but beyond there the line to Boston via Woodhall Junction closed many years ago. But if anyone wants to fish, for example, the Fossdyke at Saxilby there's a train every hour, and an "Anytime Day Return" from Sheffield is a snip at £16.80 - or £11.10 if like me you have a "Senior Railcard" (£14.20 and £9.40 on Saturdays & Sundays for an off-peak ticket). :) Edited by hillsbro

I went on the fisherman's trains with Dad. There was one that went to the Keadby Drains at Althorpe. Another went to Brigg and the river Anholme .

There was upto three going to Woodhall Junc or Boston. The Althorpe, and Brigg trains were later withdrawn and you had to change trains in Doncaster and Lincoln respectavely. There was often a  man on the train  just  selling was Jewel razor blades.  The early morning buses from Firth Park to the Wicker were jammed with anglers and the baskets were piled high on the rear platform so a volunteer would stand at the edge near the pole to stop them flying off when the bus lurched around corners. The trip home was very soothing listening to the clickity clack from the rails and following the telephone wires up and down between the posts. Great days out.

Edited by stephen peace
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2011 at 20:13, hobbinfootju said:

Yes the water used to ripple when they went through. Used to fish the Sincel Drain there as well.

I presume the mention of East Coast main line trains would be referring to diverted expresses that would have normally used the Retford, Newark, and Peterborough line but instead were diverted via Boston

1 hour ago, stephen peace said:

I presume the mention of East Coast main line trains would be referring to diverted expresses that would have normally used the Retford, Newark, and Peterborough line but instead were diverted via Boston

Are you related to a Barry Peace.. Shiregreen Lad.

We used to catch the fishing coaches from pond street to Hubberts Bridge in the 70's for 55 pence.

Edited by Alextopman

Reading all these posts again was great.

I used to go fishing with my Dad and a few of his mates in Freddy Hendersons Caravetta

Fred was a keen fisherman. he lived up Park Hill way.

I was thinking of re-prising this hobby now i'm in my 60s but could never be like it was then, the rods are a bit lighter though now.

On 23/04/2011 at 15:01, dungraftin said:

Remember how the ground use to shake at Five Mile House when the non stop East Coast Express trains use to go past.

Didn't the Flying Scotsman, go through that part of Lincs  after Retford ? And at full speed, that  metalic beast would make an ocean ripple.

Edited by St Petre