WEEKEND FISHING TRAINS 60s

The Wtham was a fantastic river and the scenery was spectacular to me as a young cross lad. I can still smell the steam from the trains.

Remember how the ground use to shake at Five Mile House when the non stop East Coast Express trains use to go past.

Yes the water used to ripple when they went through. Used to fish the Sincel Drain there as well.

Just found this thread, great times back in the days when we used to go on the train to the Witham.

Two in all saturday and sunday where we picked it up at the old wicker station.

October time it was common to see a dead pike sticking out of some fishermans basket on the table between the seats.

One bit of fun that usually involved a bet was racing two maggots in the condensation groove cut into the sill.

A maggot starting from each end where the winner was the first to drop down the little weep hole situated in the centre.

All but dissapeared now thanks to Dr Beeching.

Used to catch the train with my grandad at Victoria station for Bardney. A cold fried egg sandwich on the train for breakfast and off at Bardney. Off the train , over the bridge and turn right to walk down the side of the Witham. The bank was grass and kept tidy all the way past the pub set back on the left to the railway bridge across the river. Under this and round to the lock keepers house and we used to fish the " dead watter " at the lock.

regards Mick

Used to catch the train with my grandad at Victoria station for Bardney. A cold fried egg sandwich on the train for breakfast and off at Bardney. Off the train , over the bridge and turn right to walk down the side of the Witham. The bank was grass and kept tidy all the way past the pub set back on the left to the railway bridge across the river. Under this and round to the lock keepers house and we used to fish the " dead watter " at the lock.

regards Mick

Chumpy I remember all that so clearly. the pub had a couple of apple and pear trees. My cousin climbed the tree and dropped a few into my hood. he said somebody had seen him and told me to run. Only being small and a hood heavy with fruit, I could hardly walk!! loved Bardney and Five Mile House. sugar beet factory was at Bardney.

From around washingboro you could smell the beet in the air from the factory at Bardney.

Never knew wether I liked or disliked it then but when on the Trent these days and the sugar factory at Newark is giving it off it's so nostalgic, love it !

Remember how the ground use to shake at Five Mile House when the non stop East Coast Express trains use to go past.

Perhaps one of those expresses was the Flying Scotsman (it wasn't named that for nowt), not sure if it ran on weekends tho'.

It was the same on the dead water above the lock. The bank shuddered with every passing train. I remember on one occasion I went with three other anglers and slept in a tent overnight but sleep was difficult with every passing train waking us up.

No help from a pair of resident swans either as unknowing to us they stuck their necks inside the tent and ate a big bag of sausage rolls that were the only thing to keep us all from hunger the following day untill we got back to Sheffield. Lol

I went in the 60s but I'm sure it was from The Midland Station and up the link to the Victoria Line. I remember that we had to get into the right carriage for the destination. Our carriage was labled Southrey and Stixwold and only this carriage stopped adjacent to the platform. The carriages were old and without corridors. At Stixwould we crossed the Witham by chairn ferry and on the return journey would call for refreshments at the signalman's house.

I went there recently, the ferry is gone and the riverbank is all overgrown.

Many thanks. Phil

Not the trains specifically but right period and locations.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-hook-line-and-sheffield-1963-online

and if that link doesn't work try this one which has a written description-

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/hook-line-and-sheffield

Edited by Person6

Thanks for that person 6, I fished the works sports a couple of times in my teens, Tommy eyre was the apprentice supervisor at th English Steel Corporation, he set me on in 1960, always had the best interests of his charges at heart. I think he used to live on old Retford road if I remember correctly.

Happy days.