How much did your first house cost

And now that you've moved in as Canadian Boob Ogling Champion you can probably pick one up for half the price. :rolleyes:

careful the green monster will get you

£6000 in 1974, a five-bedroom Victorian semi on Collegiate Crescent. Currently on the market for £415,000.................

On to my 2nd wife in1997 we bought a 2 bed terrace in Hillsborough for £34,000 sold it 2007 for £127,000 bought a park home in Lincolnshire.We now are mortgage free and happy.

1966 - I was 21 & fiance was 22 when we reserved our plot at Loxley (new 3 bed semi yet to be built) price £3,200.00 deposit of £320.00.

Our wedding was arranged for 12 months later.

House wasn't finished in time (small building company) and we had to live with my new husband's parents for about a month.:eek:

We finally moved in a week before Christmas. It was snowing heavily, but there was no-way I wasn't going to be in our home for Christmas.

It was a long time ago.

Still got the photos of the house at varying stages of build.

I've often thought of sending them to whoever is in that house now.

Curiosity got me to looking if the builders were still in business.

I thought, being as it was 45 years ago, probably not.

Googled Barden & Hall, low and behold, they popped up in Google.

Edited by evensus

Bought my first house in 1967, Dalmore Road on the Carterknowle estate. We spent a week looking at properties all over Sheffield but returned to second view the house on Dsalmore Road. The property was offered at £3000 pounds but on the second viewing it had dropped to £2950 ( when has that happened since ). I was asked by the estate agent if I was a policeman because there were a lot of them in the area but unfortunately some were not paid enough to buy the houses. My mortgage was £19 18s and 4d a month and that was frightening.

Our first property in 1971 was a semi-detached bungalow on the outskirts of Barnsley (we couldn't afford to be in Sheffield and, one of us had a job in Barnsley).

It was brand new, cost £2995 and we had to turf the car out looking for loose change to manage to find the holding deposit of £25:00.

We had our first child on the way and only one of us working, how did we do it!

79 Dodd St in Hillsborough for £7500 in 1979. No central heating but refitted the kitchen and bathroom and sold it in 1983 for £14000 still with no central heating. Bought a new semi for £21000. I was told that housing booms come round every 12 to 15 years and the ones I remember are 73, 88 and 2004-7.

Our first house was a newly 'upgraded' Victorian terrace, 2-up, 2-down, at the top of Crookes, bought in December 1982: £14,500

Anyone any idea how much a brick 3 bdrm semi (I'm guessing less than 10 y. old) on a quiet cul de sac at Gleadless Town End might have cost in 1962? My mum and her partner bought one and it was our home for a number of years.

My guess? ca. 2,500 pounds.

Winco bank £8,500 1978 - sold £13,000 1980

Chapeltown £19,000 1980 sold £62,000 1993

Chapeltown £78000 1993 - today £245,000?

If only we cold have bought two ha ha