How much did your first house cost

When I was married at the age of 21 I didnt have a penny in savings,I didnt have to marry,I could have waited a week!.We moved in with my mother in law at Snow Hill Row on Broad St. brand new flats in the 60s.I buckled down and saved the deposit for a house,all we could afford was a terraced house on Marion Rd. Hillsborough.I couldn,t get a mortgage from any building society,we obtained one from Sheffield Council.The price of the house £1,000 pounds, it was a dump but you have to start somewhere,inside four years we put in a bathroom and made it a nice home,we sold it after 4yrs doubleling our money making a deposit for a brand new house,beyond my wildest dreams.Happy Days!,:D:D

£6,000 in 1978 - a 3-bedroom terraced in Dykes Hall Road (about 4 years' net income for me at the time). Spent £5,000 on it and sold it for £20,000 in 1986. My dad bought a 3-bed terraced in Dykes Hall Road for £600 in 1951..:)

Like you Old Tup,

Bought one on Hammerton RD. in 1965 for 1,000 quid, with a mortgage from the council. Sold it two years later for 1,200. Not earth shattering, but have bought and sold about 20 houses since, and always made a profit.

When I was married at the age of 21 I didnt have a penny in savings,I didnt have to marry,I could have waited a week!.We moved in with my mother in law at Snow Hill Row on Broad St. brand new flats in the 60s.I buckled down and saved the deposit for a house,all we could afford was a terraced house on Marion Rd. Hillsborough.I couldn,t get a mortgage from any building society,we obtained one from Sheffield Council.The price of the house £1,000 pounds, it was a dump but you have to start somewhere,inside four years we put in a bathroom and made it a nice home,we sold it after 4yrs doubleling our money making a deposit for a brand new house,beyond my wildest dreams.Happy Days!,:D:D

£3,200 in 1967 Chesterfield. Moved to new build in Penistone £4,900

But in 1973 we moved to Norfolk £11,300 and sold it in 1976 £10.600 those were difficult days when property prices really dropped. We had spent a lot on it as well, with new kitchen, central heating and a lot of work outside.

I bought a 4 bed semi in Wivenhoe Essex in 1969 for 4,950 I paid it off in 5 years and sold it in 1984 for 51,000, two years later it sold for 98,000 that was Thatcher for you flooding the market with money.

we bought our 2 bed house in 2000 for £20,000 in s9. we didnt have a penny in savings and really had to scrape by to get a deposit and we struggled to get a morgage as we were young but eventually the halifax came to our rescue. we have since done a full internal renovation which included putting in a 3 bedroom in the loft space and ripping out floors walls and ceilings costing £20,000.

£ 1,895,

Brand new 3 bedroomed semi in Intake 1961, £100 deposit.

Morgage from the council, sold 18mths later for £2,400.

hazel

my mother had 4 real good row house's left to her in a will but the rent was so tiny they wasn't worth keeping this was from the war time fixed rents,so she offer them to the tenants for free she was turned down by all as they could get more out of her in upkeep

1982 3 bedroomed semi in Conisbrough £8500.

1992...28,000.........yipeee!

1959 (I think) 700 pounds -at Woodhouse. stone house 2beds and attic. :thumbsup:

I've never owned an house, i've no aspirations to do so either.