How much did your first house cost

£9,750 in 1979. Just off Middlewood Road. A 3 bed terrace. There's one for sale on same road now for £140,000

We bought our first house in 2000 for £37,000 just before the property market boomed. It was a two bed mid terrace at Woodseats.

We sold it in 2003 for £80,000!

Mid terrace with offshot kitchen 1960 £225 next door was £200 didn't have kitchen.

Very similar house 1978 £8700.

Today around £120000

3 bed terrace in Hillsborough, just above Middlewood Rd near the park. Bought for £74,500 in 2002, sold 3 years ago for £135,000!!

Bought 1957, 2 up 2 down terrace, toilet outside, off Staniforth road S9 cost £650 morgage £450 from Sheffield Corporation, monthly repayments £3/2/7p ( I still have the first repayment book)

£12,400 in 1976, for a detached dump in Totley, over the years we have spent circa £30K on it. At the height of the market we could have easily got £300K for it, as it stands now I reckon £275K.

I THINK parents paid :-

£350 for semi-detached, Audrey Road, Richmond----1936

£ 1100 house on Southgrove Road, Broomhill---1949

£ 900 house on Wayland Road, Sharrowvale----1953

Just been looking at the price of a 1-bedroomed, small flat I used to live in years ago, in London, Tooting Bec area------£ 180,000 !!

My Gran says her old house in Netheredge, now probably worth over £300,000 was bought in 1965 for £1500 :)

Grandad sold it about 15 years ago for £60,000

Still don't understand the prices in the U.K the price for lumber being the same the world over,Vancover apart where its a land problem for the rest can still have a new 4bed built in a quality spot for less than150,00 pounds two yrs ago now i bought a nice ranch to retire in ,by the lake two bath 4 bed for 70,00 was the best move I ever made

Stocksbridge 1967 the council were giving out 100% mortgages to we went for it. It cost us 1,750 pounds and 6 yrs later we sold it for 3,500 pounds. That money helped us come to Canada, it paid 5 fares for a start. :)

Still don't understand the prices in the U.K the price for lumber being the same the world over..
But very few houses in the UK are built of lumber...

But very few houses in the UK are built of lumber...
Quite right Banker - but apart from the fact that our stone or brick houses are generally more expensive to build than wooden ones, there is also the fact that (as estate agents often tell us) the three most important factors governing the value of a house are location, location and location. In fact, flyer referred to the "land problem" in Vancouver - in other words land has a high value in that location.