£35m Carrol + Suarez For The Price Of Torres?

Hernandez was a gamble, I don't think Fergie thought it would work out so well, he was expecting him to be a bit part player (Gabriel Oberton) who he would groom over the next couple of years. Instead he hit gold-dust.

Big time, he looks like a quality player and this is only his first season in English football. He was a relative gamble by Ferguson, who doesn't always get his gambles right (no managers do really) but he has this time.

Liverpool did well selling Torres and although Carrol is unproven and a gamble, if you've got 50million in your back pocket you can literally afford to take that gamble.

Carroll and Suarez look like money well spent but it's a bit of a honeymoon period for Liverpool and Dalglish at the moment, as Hodgson's time there was such a disappointment that the next man couldn't really fail to improve. The big test will be next year when Liverpool need to be back challenging for a top four spot. I think they can do it but it won't be easy and more is going to be expected of Carroll and Suarez.

The big losers are Chelski.

Signing Torres in January hasn't paid off but he could come good next year. He's been out with an injury, had no summer break due to the World Cup (where he was still not fully fit) and has come into a side that is struggling for form (relatively speaking and compared to last year). You'd have expected him to have done more than he has but it's too early to say he's a waste of money etc. Also if I was a Chelsea fan I'd be pleased that Abramovich has shows he's still willing to splash the cash as it wasn't long ago that people were saying he'd had enough and was going to tighten his wallet.