Is it OK to compliment a stranger?

I worked with a real gent, he would say how nice I looked, but would always follow it up by saying 'am I allowed to say that/, Bless!

bloody feminist ******s!!

why don't they lock themselves in a cupboard away from men and let the rest of us who like being made to feel pretty get on about our day.

I like being complimented and I like gentlemanly gestures, like having a door opened for me.

Women's groups can go jump - they are ruining it for everyone

Equality in employment and voting = good.

women have to want more - men aren't allowed to know what they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41FNXkY9VZY

Edited by Scozzie

Totally depends on the manner its given. I am spoken for but often compliment a good looking woman. I'm not a looker but dont do it in a slimy way - I am telling a good looking girl she is but I think there is a certain none threatening tone that goes with the bethrothed mans comments that makes them truly well received not slimy!

Lol, with your girlfriend standing right next to you? Bet that goes down well! :hihi:

bloody feminist ******s!!

why don't they lock themselves in a cupboard away from men and let the rest of us who like being made to feel pretty get on about our day.

I like being complimented and I like gentlemanly gestures, like having a door opened for me.

Women's groups can go jump - they are ruining it for everyone

Equality in employment and voting = good.

women have to want more - men aren't allowed to know what they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41FNXkY9VZY

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole, eh?

And to answer the OP, yes, I think it is Ok to compliment a stranger, if it's done in a way that the object of the compliment appreciates it.

I've done it myself occasionally.

Most people have some attractive redeeming feature about them.

I'm naturally quite a complimentary person, if a friend or acquaintance is wearing something I like, or is looking well, I tell them!

I think women do it to other women quite a lot, sometimes in a backhanded way,:suspect: "Oh your hair looks really nice at the moment, such an improvement" or "Since you've lost all that weight, you look so much better than you did" suggesting you looked a right scarecrow munter before.

In my previous career, when I was doing someone's make up, it was part of my job to accentuate people's features so even if someone had a faceful of blackheads they generally had lovely eyes, or great eyelashes, or a really strong nose or lovely big lips. I love being able to compliment people on their skin, I really do notice it about everyone I meet.

Some people are really rubbish about accepting compliments as well. I readily accept them and say thank you usually but find I get less as I get older. :rolleyes:

My favourite compliment ever was from a gay guy, a stranger, in Corp, who said 'you are the cutest, sweetest thing ever and I simply must dance with you.' We danced and then he gave me a big kiss and said 'Ooh, I wish I was straight, you are lovely!' and then ran off!:hihi:

I don't know why women pretend to get upset about it.

They should be happy blokes want to bonk them.

Of course ugly women have to wait until the blokes are drunk to get their turn.

I don't know why women pretend to get upset about it.

They should be happy blokes want to bonk them.

Of course ugly women have to wait until the blokes are drunk to get their turn.

Have you ever seen Jezza Kyle? It's full of ugly women getting DNA test for their 'babbies' which leads me to think that either your theory is incorrect, or...there's a lot of drunk blokes out there!

Most people have some attractive redeeming feature about them.

I'm naturally quite a complimentary person, if a friend or acquaintance is wearing something I like, or is looking well, I tell them!

I think women do it to other women quite a lot, sometimes in a backhanded way,:suspect: "Oh your hair looks really nice at the moment, such an improvement" or "Since you've lost all that weight, you look so much better than you did" suggesting you looked a right scarecrow munter before.

I got one of them the other day - 'you're going to look great in your wedding dress! Are you going to lose some weight?'

I told her my dress would drown a skinny ass like hers.

I didn't really :hihi:

Absolutely its ok to compliment a stranger, just be tactful when you do it.

It's not sexism

Yes it is.

You're saying it is OK for one sex to pass a compliment, but not for the other.