History of Attercliffe

hi does anyone remember he keenan family they lived on ripon street during the 50 and 60s

A few thoughts

I always was told it was from Ottercliff

There were masses of green spaces there in the 50's, we played by the canal and in Tinsley Park Woods, a huge area of adventure with 'mountains' (slag heaps) Lakes (the miners baths) and wonderful secret areas that we called Islands, but they were actually copses, but it was nature in the raw, there were foxes (wolves) and loads of rabbits, there were even real lizards, and false ones in the 'newt pond' that dad showed us, we used to catch newts there every year and fishermen would fish for Bream, and on a hot day you would see them swimming like sharks with their dorsal fins out of the water. Does no one else remember this? Attercliffe was close to nature, we never thought of it as slum dwelling.

And if you wanted a change you could just get the circular bus round to Rivelin or Redmires for threepence, Sheffield in the 50's was never a place where you could not escape the slums.

We left Attercliffe in 1952 and I can't remember it being close to nature in those days. Wasn't Atlas one of the ancient Greek or Roman gods who was supposed to carry the world on his shoulders? That's why a book of maps is called an atlas.

Hi Pietro

I was told that from seaweed you could tell whether it was going to rain or not.

hazel

plain talker

its shirland lane i lived for a couple of years on chinley st in the late 1970s it came off shirland lane used to walk down it when i went down cliffe.

hi does anyone remember he keenan family they lived on ripon street during the 50 and 60s

yes i lived in ripon st name travis grans name roddis we lived at 195

yes i can remember we live d at 195 ripon st my name travis gran name roddis her sons name tommy is mums name dot

hi yes thats right well im married to tommy keenan

can any one remember dog and partridge on cliff in 1976 on

For info on Attercliffe and its environs see "Anyone here from Attercliffe" on this website.

Re the Carbrook Hall pub. I was born on Dunlop St in 1940 and I never heard of a haunting at the pub. As usual it is probably all just modern spin to increase trade.

For info on Attercliffe and its environs see "Anyone here from Attercliffe" on this website.

Re the Carbrook Hall pub. I was born on Dunlop St in 1940 and I never heard of a haunting at the pub. As usual it is probably all just modern spin to increase trade.

I was born at 5 Webster Street December 1940. My grandmother and family lived next door at 7 Webster Street. Albert Bruces´s shop was on the corner of Dunlop Street and Webster Street. Jumping over the wall I could reach my other Grandmother´s who lived in the court houses off Bright Street.

My family lived in this area until demolition. I attended Carbrook C of E School until 1951,Mr.Casley was head teacher. I have read and also been told of the hautings in the Carbrook Hall.

Hi All

Just reading all the posts of attercliffe and the naming.I too was born on Chippingham St and went to Huntsman Garden School.Just starting to research the history of Benjamin Huntsman and how the streets were formed for another youtube .

please take a look at my youtube project

thanks

Andy M