Jehovah's Witnesses - please go away

why are you asking me? Im not a witness???

This was really an open question to anyone who is a witness on the forum. As I do not understand why they harrass people. It was not intended to accuse you of being a witness. Any witness who can answer why you door knock I would love to know. Can you not take the hint.

They descended upon our flats the last two weekends. I just ignore the buzzer.

strangely enough after digging this thread up from the archives late last night we actually got two witnesses at our door this morning. it was two young ladies which is quite rare (i think). unfortunately my o.h got to the door before me and didn't engage in conversation. my o.h did take a leaflet to be polite which i am going to sit down and read soon.

Quick word of advice- if you're not interested do not engage with them or they will NEVER leave you alone. I constantly feel like I have to hide to avoid them as they call VERY regularly in our area....

Quick word of advice- if you're not interested do not engage with them or they will NEVER leave you alone. I constantly feel like I have to hide to avoid them as they call VERY regularly in our area....

yeah that happened to me some years ago. i got engaged in conversation and before i knew it they had me booked in for a bible study and they knew my name and when i was not working. the chap who was doing all the talking was good and would have made a great salesman. they returned a few times only to be told by my housemate to go away. it was quite funny at the time because they were quite persistant but they were nice people too.

Collared me once when I was living at home.

I was in the shower, and my mum thought they were drug dealers.

Just tell them straight. My sister used to make me laugh, she would hide at the back of the curtains till they went. Her partner is so friendly and unrude he would just chat with them, they would ask for him by his first name! Eventually she answered the door and told them, he no longer lived there:D

My son always chats to them, they told him they would call back to

see him again and they did

If People want too know about god don't you think that they would find a church and look for themselves Jehovours Whitnesses we don't need it shoved down out throats thanks but no thanks

If People want too know about god don't you think that they would find a church and look for themselves Jehovours Whitnesses we don't need it shoved down out throats thanks but no thanks

i don't really have a problem with them coming round because they are decent people and you aren't going to get any trouble and they won't steal from you. a part of their religion is that they are required to go around the people and spread the word about their faith.

although the witness movement have some ideas which i understand and agree with i just don't agree with their beliefs on blood. if i or one of my relatives needed to be given blood and it was life or death i would choose to have it.

it must be a difficult to do the door knocking at times when realistically the vast majority of people wont want to listen. i suppose the few people that will talk and listen must make it worth while.

If that is true how you recruit then why do you knock on peoples doors. If we were interested we would turn up.

They follow the N.T. evangelism of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, ie, go out and spread the Good News.

"According to the Christian Bible, during his last days on earth Jesus commanded his eleven disciples (the apostles) as follows:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

– Matthew 28:19,20 NIV

Other translations render the phrase “make disciples of all nations” in the above quotation as “teach all nations”. Jesus is also quoted in the Gospel of Mark saying

Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature"

– Mark 16:15 KJV

These are two main passages of the New Testament from God that are interpreted by some (mainly Evangelical Christians) to command everyone who believes in Christ to preach the gospel. Taken in context, however, the command is to the eleven, who in turn commission preachers as the sole method of spreading the gospel - "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14 KJV)."

Source, Wikipedia.

They follow the N.T. evangelism of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, ie, go out and spread the Good News.

"According to the Christian Bible, during his last days on earth Jesus commanded his eleven disciples (the apostles) as follows:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

– Matthew 28:19,20 NIV

Other translations render the phrase “make disciples of all nations” in the above quotation as “teach all nations”. Jesus is also quoted in the Gospel of Mark saying

Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature"

– Mark 16:15 KJV

These are two main passages of the New Testament from God that are interpreted by some (mainly Evangelical Christians) to command everyone who believes in Christ to preach the gospel. Taken in context, however, the command is to the eleven, who in turn commission preachers as the sole method of spreading the gospel - "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14 KJV)."

Source, Wikipedia.

Thanks for that explanation I may not agree with them but at least I understand them now.

Slightly OT, but I saw a programme on channel 4 in the last couple of days - one of those 5 minute slots (after early evening news) where someone comments on a matter of current affairs.

This time it was a Rabbi (quite high up in London). He used his 5 minutes to slag off Mormons for

1 Trying to convert Jews on their doorsteps, and

2 Baptising(?) dead Jews into the Mormon faith (eg Anne Frank & David Ben Gurion).

I've never heard of this sort of thing and don't know how accurate the Rabbi's representation was, but it clearly upset and angered him.

I was surprised to see a representative of one religion openly criticising another faith. Comments are usually couched in terms of how respectful they are of other faiths. He didn't bother.