New Club Night in Sheffield! - No Students!

I think a club night with a little bit more sophistication could appeal to some of us older types; all the Sheffield clubs seem aimed at a very young crowd.

A club night somewhere that was aimed at an older age group, with sensibly priced drinks, a dress code (just to add a little bit of appreciation for a night out to the proceedings) could work, IMHO.

I agree!!!!!!:)

First of all, Im 19, male, and a Hallam student. I live at where a 15-30min walk from West St.

I love going out on MON-FRI nights. So far I've only been out on SAT night twice. The feeling I have for going out on SAT night is being EXCLUDED! just because of the age of the surrounding people is so different to MON-FRI.

My music taste are hiphop, r&b, grime, dubstep etc. but I don't like rock, metal, punk. I like British products more than American, like n-dubz, tinchy stryder, roll deep. I do love Justin Bieber as well! The clubs I love are the Plug Players, Embrace, Steelhouse and Crystal (Non Sat)

Having read lots of post in this forum, I've realised that for some reasons Sheffield locals don't welcome uni students or think that Sheffield's got too much students. But for me, I'd enjoy every moment of clubbings when many students around my age are surrounding me, and I don't want to lose these moments!

I'll give you some answers

1) What type of night would you want? (Themed ect)

No theme. Just a relaxed place with nice lighting, comfy seats and music at a level that you can chat without shouting.

2) What type of music would you want to listen to?

Would love an italo-disco/acid house/cosmic disco night

3) Where would you have the club night? (What club)

A new one hidden away in some works down in the CIQ. Or in a cellar.

4) Would you want just local people there or people from say a 15 mile radus of sheffield ie worksop,barnsley,rotherham etc?

What does it matter where they're from as long as they're there for a good time and remain civil to each other? You can't stop people coming in if they're from certain places :loopy:

5) What would you call the club night and why?

Steal the name 'Black Devil Disco Club' from

6) what sort of drinks would you want see for sale? (Shots,Cocktails, etc)

Not shots. They scream 'BINGE DRINKING' at you, and even if you are actively binge drinking you don't want to be reminded of it. Quality, classic cocktails. Good lagers - not Carling, Fosters or any of the usual imitation beers.

7) What Max door price would you be willing to pay?

£5

8) Would you be willing to travel via minibus for free, if you dont live in sheffield?

Yes - particularly if there's one home.

9) Any other comments or surgestions?

It's spelt 'suggestions'.

Edited by lomax

1) What type of night would you want? (Themed ect)

1Brit Pop. Lescar ran one last night which due to other committments I wasn't able to go to. Think it's time for one.

2Acid Jazz night.

3Studio 54 style night.

460's - Think The Beat club that used to be run at the Leadmill.

5 Also as Synthetic is about to stop, a good electro pop night.

2) What type of music would you want to listen to?

1- Mix of Echobelly, Elastica, Manson, Blur, Pulp, Weller, Hole etc

2- Brand New Heavies, Incognito, JTQ, Galliano, Jamiroquai.

3- Fatback band, Chic, Sister sledge, Blondie etc

4 - Kinks, Small faces, etc(Possibly Mod for it covers this)

5- Yazoo, Depeche Mode, New Order, Presets, Crystal Castles etc

3) Where would you have the club night? (What club)

Think the Tulip lounge (old Sola Bar) would be an ace venue for a club night.

4) Would you want just local people there or people from say a 15 mile radus of Sheffield ie Worksop,Barnsley,Rotherham etc?

Wouldn't care

5) What would you call the club night and why?

1. End of a century.(After the blur track and because it was that period)

2. Jump n Move

3. Studio

4. The Beat Club

5. Mode.

6) What sort of drinks would you want see for sale? (Shots,Cocktails, etc)

Everything.

7) What Max door price would you be willing to pay?

Tenner.

Would you be willing to travel via minibus for free, if you dont live in Sheffield?

Yes

9) Any other comments or suggestions?

No.

students arent the biggest spenders, but theres just loads of them about.

I can't believe people are criticising a night that doesn't even exist yet. Maybe if people gave things a chance instead of moaning and whining we might get some new nights and ideas.

If the naysayers and criticisers know so much why don't they get off their behinds and start some nights? I'm sure they'd be ever so successful.

Theres 2 ways you can go if you really want to be succesful without student money. Route 1 would be to play Bassline, Dancehall, Niche, Bashment etc, as students aren't into that but some locals love it. Wouldn't get my custom though as I don't like this music or the crowd it attracts.

The other option would be to do something that appeals to people that don't feel theres anywhere for them to go. Theres a whole load of people that like the music of the Leadmill (Indie & Motown) but dislike the venue and selection of drinks offered at the bar.

Theres another lot that like the music of Crystal (60s - Modern classic party music) but find the place a bit too bar-like and oddly theres no alternative music offered in room 2.

Theres people that want to listen to House music other than on Bank Holiday Sundays when 10 nights all pop up at once, in a venue with nicer decor than Plug or Nocturnal.

The list goes on but they are the ones that are most apparant to me. (also make sure your dancefloor can fit at least 200 people on it, venues with tiny dancelfoors do my head in! And if you have to sell cocktails make sure theres a bar available for people who just want to buy bottles and spirits, as waiting for cocktail ******s to get served is very annoying)

i'll give you some answers

1) what type of night would you want? (themed ect)

no theme. Just a relaxed place with nice lighting, comfy seats and music at a level that you can chat without shouting.

2) what type of music would you want to listen to?

would love an italo-disco/acid house/cosmic disco night

3) where would you have the club night? (what club)

a new one hidden away in some works down in the ciq. Or in a cellar.

4) would you want just local people there or people from say a 15 mile radus of sheffield ie worksop,barnsley,rotherham etc?

what does it matter where they're from as long as they're there for a good time and remain civil to each other? You can't stop people coming in if they're from certain places :loopy:

5) what would you call the club night and why?

steal the name 'black devil disco club' fromthe quality electronic outfit

6) what sort of drinks would you want see for sale? (shots,cocktails, etc)

not shots. They scream 'binge drinking' at you, and even if you are actively binge drinking you don't want to be reminded of it. Quality, classic cocktails. Good lagers - not carling, fosters or any of the usual imitation beers.

7) what max door price would you be willing to pay?

£5

8) would you be willing to travel via minibus for free, if you dont live in sheffield?

yes - particularly if there's one home.

9) any other comments or surgestions?

it's spelt 'suggestions'.

brillant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

brillant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Watch this space... ;)

Im dying for a club night that takes my fancy. I havnt been clubbing for years basically because i hate the club nights currently in sheffield

I was a huge fan of the old gatecrasher. I would love something along the lines of how that used to be :D please

Edit : Im Not a Student BTW!

I would just like to be able to get into most of the places on a Thursday night in Sheffield without being told -no student card no entry - it is so annoying; some of us do go out on a work night you know and we're left with nowhere to go :rant:

I'd be interested in any night that has the stones to not follow the herd that play commercial/cheesy/chart/pop, the usual tired r'n'b suspects, obscure (yet popular with some) facets of dance music or has an inane DJ playing what they want.

Problem is, West Street/Division Street is a closed shop.

There are no venues prepared to change what they currently play as their staff, DJ's and clientele know exactly what they are getting.

And don't get me started on one particular bar on Divvy Street that shall rename nameless but whose "too cool for school" attitude makes me spontaneously combust whenever I pop in for a half of mild on the off chance that they *might* possibly have changed into a half decent, slightly cool, friendly bar!!!

I'm choking on my Werthers here, I'll have to go....

Edited by uncle.albert
typo