Hallam towers hotel

Plans were passed in late-2009 for the tower to be converted into residential flats and several houses to be built on the site surrounding it. I think work in earnest began at the turn of the year; prior to that I think it had been rather sporadic. Judging by the photographs on 28dl it's innards are beginning to resemble a multi-storey carpark.

rogG, I have to say I disagree, I do feel the hotel has architectural value and historical significance. Of course, it clearly doesn't have to same historical significance as the other buildings you mentioned; however I think it says something about the city's ambition through the '60s and early '70s. I find it incredibly sad that this wonderful white building is going to be clad in green glass probably rendering it so bland that it will no longer be a distinctive part of the Sheffield landscape.

Didn't it used to be Trust House Forte....along with the Grovesnor....is that still going?

Didn't it used to be Trust House Forte....along with the Grovesnor....is that still going?

Yes, it did; no, it isn't.

Sorry, I meant to add, the developers are Hallam Grange Ltd, based at an address in Bradfield.

Joanl, yes, both Hallam Tower and Grosvenor House were built and owned by Trust House until the Hallam Tower was sold to Holiday Inn the '90s (?). The Grosvenor opened a few months after Hallam Tower. No, the Grosvenor is closed and I think awaiting demolition, though I'm not sure.

Sorry, I meant to add, the developers are Hallam Grange Ltd, based at an address in Bradfield.

Joanl, yes, both Hallam Tower and Grosvenor House were built and owned by Trust House until the Hallam Tower was sold to Holiday Inn the '90s (?). The Grosvenor opened a few months after Hallam Tower. No, the Grosvenor is closed and I think awaiting demolition, though I'm not sure.

The Grosvenor is part of the site for that there long-stalled 'Sevenstone' city-centre development (if it ever happens).

Oh yeah, of course it is, I remember the Sevenstone posters in the empty shop windows near Cambridge Street. So are they redeveloping the Grosvenor or pulling it down? I've just a quick at the Sevenstone website but can only seem to find information about John Lewis and the demolition of the Fire and Rescue building.

I also used to work there, in the housekeeping dept......some years ago xx

it still looks nice inside but they have been working on it they have been demolishing it downstairs in the main reception and all rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor. i think they might be blowing it up because theres large black bags wraped around the stoods walls in the reception area there isnt much left of the bottom 4 ish floors.

but i think it would make a good hotel it it was refurbished :hihi:

As far as I'm aware the tower itself will not be demolished and looking at the plans on the council website it looks like most of the staff block and two storey building the tower sits on will also be retained.

so what exactly is happening with it?

because its pretty dead now it looks better outside than inside of it.

It's being refurbished and converted into apartments. I'll post a link.