Hallam towers hotel

I think CatWeasel lives there. Stig aswell coz he hated that dump.

Eddie Waring and Stuart Hall stayed there August 13th 1971. They were doing 'Its a Knockout' in Sheffield the next day.

Are you into Urbexing then Rick? If you search the 28 day forum you will come across a report from 2007 or 2008 cant remember the exact date, but you can see the views from the roof.

I saw the rooftop shots - very cool!

Had a wander around Stanley Tools a few days ago:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=59318

Your talking about a 1960's iconic building, Sheffield was car friendly in those days so it was very easy to access, and what a great place for a hotel. The last time I was in it was circa 15 years ago, and I still expected Sean Connery

to step out of the lift as James Bond.

I understand that as and when finances allow, the structure will be parted from it's concrete frame, and replaced with luxury apartments. I love the area, lovely Victorian and Edwardian villas, I was a regular in the Ranmoor Inn when the Garsides ran it.

The last couple of weeks the gate on Manchester Road has been open when I go past in the morning, before that it was shut. I assumed that something was at last starting to happen to the place as I believe they have finally resolved all the planning permission issues.

Who actually owns it now, anybody know?

Edited by metalman

nice bit of exploring there, good work.

I remember going for a job interview at Stanley offices once, nice to see the pics

It closed about seven years ago. It is a shame it is just being left to rot away.

Like the GPO in Fitzalan Square, the old courthouse in the Haymarket, and there's an old church on Cemetery Road. Just left to rot away as you say. Why does council allow this to happen and why do people put up with it? The Hallam Towers building might not have tremendous architectural value or historic significance, but the other buildings I've mentioned do. :huh:

Well every time planning permission has gone in for the building to be redeveloped the local rezzidents have got up in arms about "the impact on their properties".

Seems they'd rather have a great rotting pile of cack in their back garden than, shock horror, a modern development.

Still the extra traffic would make it difficult for them to park up their 4x4.

Well every time planning permission has gone in for the building to be redeveloped the local rezzidents have got up in arms about "the impact on their properties".

Seems they'd rather have a great rotting pile of cack in their back garden than, shock horror, a modern development.

Still the extra traffic would make it difficult for them to park up their 4x4.

That would explain, though not excuse, the lack of action on Hallam Towers but the other places I mentioned are in the city center, no residents living nearby. Why are they being left to rot?