Do the council still issue green sacks for garden waste?

Hi folks,

Am wanting some green sacks for some garden waste, but this page on the council website seems to imply that you can't get them any more, as the collections are going to be replaced by a new service, with nothing clear to suggest when this new service will begin. Does anyone know what's going on?

i was in the library a few weeks ago and overheard a worker saying that they had stopped collecting the green bags, which is typical as i have had loads recently!!!!

but not heard anything about the new system

I popped into the library at lunchtime and there was a sign saying they had run out and weren't expecting more, and were waiting on Veolia to explain what was happening.

"A new reusable sack service is being introduced next year for residents who don't have a green bin."

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/About-us/News/Press-releases/Important-Information-Changes-to-the-green-sack-recycling-service-/

Guess it's a bit late ;-)

Edited by nickycheese

A new reusable sack service is being introduced next year for residents who don't have a green bin.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/About-us/News/Press-releases/Important-Information-Changes-to-the-green-sack-recycling-service-/

Guess it's a bit late ;-)

there was a mobile in the co'op carpark the other day he the guy said they are going to be carry on with the green bags from the library in sometime in aprill and doing once monthly collections .

"A new reusable sack service is being introduced next year for residents who don't have a green bin."

The Council website seems to suggest that this idea has been scrapped, to be replaced by disposable sacks (ie. the existing system) but in the meantime we will be unable to get any new disposable sacks until the new (same?) system is launched (sometime).

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/gardenwaste/greensacks

They don't seem to be collecting at all at the moment. There's been some bags outside houses at Broomhill that have been sat there for over a month now!

They don't seem to be collecting at all at the moment. There's been some bags outside houses at Broomhill that have been sat there for over a month now!

People need to ring up and ask for them to be collected on 0114 2734567. I only know because I rang today to ask when they would be collecting in the Hillsborough Area and was told I now had to request a collection, which I did. My bags will be collected within 20 working days (one month).

That is how the system originally worked, but then it was changed to regular collections across the city. The man I spoke to said it was changed again last autumn, probably after my last collection. I was :confused: to say the least!

the Council ( Lib Dems ) decided to stop the green plastic bag system so didnt order anymore bags as they were going to go with a hessian sack option the council then decided to stop that system before it had began but omitted to order any green bags or tell anyone the new system had been scrapped so libraries are now in the situation of telling people that they have no sacks and they dont know when they are coming but they have been ordered.

nice one Scrivens ( as it was the Lib Dems idea to change something that had run well for many years ) like the blue bin / box farce

There's been bags on our road since November! (I know you can phone to arrange a collection but obviously many don't)

Broomhill Library ran out of green sacks in October....... the new scheme is going to run 8 months a year we are told.... and it's April already.........and no green sacks!

Approval for the new scheme was given over a month ago........ I'm not sure why it needs approval as it sounds exactly the same as the old one closed last Autumn. Maybe the Council don't realise that Spring-time is a busy one in the garden but after 6 months without sacks my hedge clippings will be going in the black bin