Allotments between what is now Bishopscourt Rd and Argyle Close pre 1935

Does anyone know if there used to be allotments in the area of land between what is now Bishopscourt Rd, Argyle Rd and Argyle Close, pre 1935.

Recently moved to Argyle Rd and have started sorting out the garden, seem to be finding lots of rusty garden tools and enough broken glass and bricks to build several greenhouses and sheds!

Found an image on the Sheffield libraries picture archive of the area pre 1935, which clearly shows Burnside Avenue, Meersbrook park allotments and what looks to be more allotments on the plot where the above roads now stand.

Would love to find out and if anyone has any images it would be very interesting to see them.

Hi shanmoyle.

A footpath ran from the end of burnside ave up to lees hall road with allotments either side. I used to deliver newspapers in that area in 1956 dont know if they were their pre 1935 though. Iused to use the path as a shortcut.

rgds davided

Hello Davided,

We have an allotment plot on that footpath, so it's still there! Nowadays there are locked gates at either end, but it's still pretty in the spring and a haven for wildlife.

I've been having a further search and have found through Sheffield History's website a map of the area pre 1930, which shows allotments on the area I live in, and, allotments covering quite a bit of the area where some of the 1935 ish housing now is.

The walled garden in Meersbrook park are putting together a gardening museum, so I shall see if they would like my rusty old garden tools I've dug up, and the information on the area.

Thanks for your memories and all the best,

Shanmoyle

If you find anything else interesting there besides garden tool there do tell me. I am working on the history of Norton Lees and I am looking for evidence of old buildings not on any map and signs of metal working ie processed iron ore etc.. So anyone in Norton Lees that has found such in their garden or their allotment or any other strange item please let me know.

If you find anything else interesting there besides garden tool there do tell me. I am working on the history of Norton Lees and I am looking for evidence of old buildings not on any map and signs of metal working ie processed iron ore etc.. So anyone in Norton Lees that has found such in their garden or their allotment or any other strange item please let me know.

As you're researching Norton Lees history, could you tell me where "The Lees" was please?

I have an old photo probably taken in 1910-20's of a man who I believe was Head Gardener at "The Lees".

Regards,

Duffems

There are 2 Lees. Lees Hall or Lees House.I would imagine it was Lees House as Lees Hall was more of a farm. Lees House was near Meersbrook Park. between the park and Norton Lees Church. It was a big House but has been knocked down. The outer walls still remain. Do you know the man's name?

I have plans for tackling a previously undug area of the garden this weekend, so i'll keep my eye out! And, let the adjoining neighbours know, as there are several gardens being sorted out after many years of neglect. Would be interesting to know more about the area, the house survey didn't mention the old allotments, but did say the land had be infilled at some point and that there was a chance of small scale coal mining. Maybe this could be connected to metal processing...

I have been told they are called Norton St.Pauls allotments if this helps.

There are 2 Lees. Lees Hall or Lees House.I would imagine it was Lees House as Lees Hall was more of a farm. Lees House was near Meersbrook Park. between the park and Norton Lees Church. It was a big House but has been knocked down. The outer walls still remain. Do you know the man's name?

Thanks for that, I suspected it was a house. His name was Beckworth Hayes. I'll dig out the photo and see if there are any distinguishing buildings in the background.

I've found he was born in 1876, Mother's name Jane but can't find him in trade directory. Notice a Beckworth Hayes left by ship but don't have any more details. He seems to have been born in Norton Lees district but may be wrong on that. Can't find any details to tie him to either house but will have to dig more deeply.