Best chef's knives to purchase ?

Hi everyone.

I have recently become extremely interested in cookery and have been seriously considering buying a good knife, one that will last me for a very long time.

I have done a fair bit of research into which knives are the best to get, but, still unsure as to which is better, I know to get one with a full tang and rather than get a set, to get the individual knives as I have more choice.

I am torn between Henckels and Wusthof as a brand, I am not keen on the global brand though as they feel too light when being handled.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on which to consider ?

Thanks.

I like Gustav Emil Ern. Solid handles and excellent blades.

Global are fantastic knives, but I agree - the handles are very light.

I have been using an Anolon for a few months and I am very pleased with it.It's a 20cm chefs knife.

Don't go for a brand. Thats a fools error. Go to a good cookshop or Mortons on West Street and pick a few up. Hold them and feel the weight of them and see what feels comfortable. What feels the right weight for you, what feels like a natural extension of your hand and arm. A knife isn't a pair of trainers its a dangerous tool it needs to be right or you'll hurt yourself. Don't be seduced by brands go for comfort and what feels right every time. It might be that you need a few different brands as you buy knives for different jobs as well so its important to be open minded.

Bought some Global Knives ten years ago and they are still as sharp as they were when I got them. They get used on a daily basis and I would not have anything else.

Glad I got them when I did as just seen how much the large chefs knife I used is now. £100 eek but well worth every single penny.

Yes the handles are light but I found that after a few uses I got used to them.

We stock Wusthof knives.

You are welcome to come and try them for weight, balance and so on, sacrificial fruit and veg always available. The balance and feel are important as people often differ on what they like. We also show you how to keep them sharp!

We won't pressurise you to buy and if you are investing in two or three (people rarely use more on a regular basis), we will work out a price based on as though you were buying a set. We have almost the full range of the Wusthof Classic, IKON (wooden handles), some Silverpoint, Scanpan, Mundial and IO Shen.

For what it is worth we have some Henckels at home and used some Global when we had a catering business. We found both these brands were not as easy to keep sharp as the Wusthof, which is why we sell them I suppose.

Phone for any other details 2553446

I bought one from Wilkinsons for £3 about a year ago after reading an article in Good Food magazine. They recommended it in a test against others that had cost a hell of a lot more!

victorinox are my favourite

We stock Wusthof knives.

You are welcome to come and try them for weight, balance and so on, sacrificial fruit and veg always available. The balance and feel are important as people often differ on what they like. We also show you how to keep them sharp!

We won't pressurise you to buy and if you are investing in two or three (people rarely use more on a regular basis), we will work out a price based on as though you were buying a set. We have almost the full range of the Wusthof Classic, IKON (wooden handles), some Silverpoint, Scanpan, Mundial and IO Shen.

For what it is worth we have some Henckels at home and used some Global when we had a catering business. We found both these brands were not as easy to keep sharp as the Wusthof, which is why we sell them I suppose.

Phone for any other details 2553446

Where do you sell these?

Pete and Jim are Abbott's Cookshop on Abbeydale Road. I have bought loads of quality stuff from them. The owners are great, talk to you, make sure you are buying the right thing, let you try stuff etc. Can't recommend them enough.

I recommend Taylors Eyewitness Knives. They're made in Sheffield and great quality.

http://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/

They're stocked by any decent cookery shop or buy online. I used to recommend Morton's on West Street, but I walked up West Street a couple of day's ago and it looks like they've gone.