Which pub had the best jukebox

I reckon it was the Barleycorn, I fitted it when I worked for Music Hire -- Not that it matters a damm lol

Im sure it was the Hermitage.

cant remember any pubs with outstanding jukeboxes--but we had to go into coffee bars like Teenage Tavern to listen to real R and R-with the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis/Little Richard and the Everlies really rocked it up---it was good to be fourteen----

Edited by slammindoor
spelling

Coach and Horses Chapeltown hands down winner.

Ah...The Nelson

the hematage had a fantastic one many moons ago

I remember hearing Jimi Hendrix for the first time playing 'Hey Joe' on the juke box in the Nelson (Moor) - great stuff.

Nelson was a great pub as with working on union street at a dry cleaners that used to be there i used to have my lunch there,great food and a good pint!!

Which Pub Had The Best Jukebox.

During my travels in the 70's around the pubs of Sheffield I came across plenty of decent jukeboxes. Some pubs had jukeboxes that weren't reight good, and they were for me, pukeboxes. I remember you could get 6 records for a quid up to about 1974, then they changed plenty of jukeboxes to 1 play 50p, 3 plays a nicker.

My particular favourites were:-

Whetstone (Tetley) - David Bowie - Starman, Amsterdam

- Black Sabbath - Wizard, Paranoid

- Uriah Heep - Look at yourself, Gypsy

Albert (Whitbread) - Focus - Hocus Pocus, Sylvia

- Allman Bros - Jessica, Ramblin' Man

- Neil Young - Sugar Mountain, Heart Of Gold

Nelson (Whitbread) - Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop

- Free - My Brother Jake, Wishing Well

- Deep Purple - Black Night, Strange Kind Of Woman

It was really funny in the Nelson when Hurricane Pt 2 (B-side of Hurricane Pt 1) by Dylan was played. The song was a 33 r.p.m. track , but it was played at 45 r.p.m. on the jukebox......Brilliant!

The above were from my night (evening) visits. For a change, I sometimes went straight from work to the Olde Red Lion (Stones) on Holly Street to play pinball and listen to Andy Williams and Carpenters, but none of that Clive Dung – Grandad or Rough Harris – Two Little Boys, stuff. Ugh.

P.S. 1 play 50p was extortionate when you consider the price of a pint of bitter, 14p!!

Which Pub Had The Best Jukebox.

During my travels in the 70's around the pubs of Sheffield I came across plenty of decent jukeboxes. Some pubs had jukeboxes that weren't reight good, and they were for me, pukeboxes. I remember you could get 6 records for a quid up to about 1974, then they changed plenty of jukeboxes to 1 play 50p, 3 plays a nicker.

My particular favourites were:-

Whetstone (Tetley) - David Bowie - Starman, Amsterdam

- Black Sabbath - Wizard, Paranoid

- Uriah Heep - Look at yourself, Gypsy

Albert (Whitbread) - Focus - Hocus Pocus, Sylvia

- Allman Bros - Jessica, Ramblin' Man

- Neil Young - Sugar Mountain, Heart Of Gold

Nelson (Whitbread) - Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop

- Free - My Brother Jake, Wishing Well

- Deep Purple - Black Night, Strange Kind Of Woman

It was really funny in the Nelson when Hurricane Pt 2 (B-side of Hurricane Pt 1) by Dylan was played. The song was a 33 r.p.m. track , but it was played at 45 r.p.m. on the jukebox......Brilliant!

The above were from my night (evening) visits. For a change, I sometimes went straight from work to the Olde Red Lion (Stones) on Holly Street to play pinball and listen to Andy Williams and Carpenters, but none of that Clive Dung – Grandad or Rough Harris – Two Little Boys, stuff. Ugh.

P.S. 1 play 50p was extortionate when you consider the price of a pint of bitter, 14p!!

I think it might have been 10p for one play in 1974 surely not 50p Zakes.

In the late sixties it was one play for a tanner, three for a bob and seven for two bob. Beer was 1/10d a pint.

I have got it right, sorry Jim.

I have got it right, sorry Jim.

Well I stopped putting my hard earned into jukeboxes about 1970. If it cost the price of three and a half pints for a single play that would be the reason why! Love your schooldays posts by the way Zakes.