Petrol price rises

Petrol should be banned. Look at the report on children's health in london. the effects are a lot worse than passive smoking . But I suspect you don't care

So you have never used petrol? Ever?

Or alternatively you could wake up - because they are private companies the government cannot tell them their prices, because that would be anti-competitive

So it is entirely privatisation, not the labour government

I’m happy to say I am awake. I have seen the price they pay at the pumps in mainland Europe, I have seen haulage companies go down the pan because the cost of fuel is so high in the UK. Its people with no understanding and the lacklustre attitude like yours that means others in the UK are forced to pay higher prices. If this was France or most other EU nations they wouldn’t stand for it.

Petrol is the only item we have to buy that is taxed twice. The petrol is taxed before it gets to the pump then you pay tax on the tax in VAT! This is why other countries have cheaper fuel. We are ripped off by our own government in a way they would never tolerate!

The labour government has a duty to stop anticompetitive behaviour by any company operating in the UK. Just because they are private companies does not give them the right to abuse their position and exploit its consumers.

Edited by Berberis

In fact for the person why tried to blame the current fuel prices on Thatcher, it was John Major who created the fuel duty escalator. Previously the fuel tax had risen relatively in live with inflation. It was the major government who increased the tax but it was the Blair government who raised it to 6% above inflation and it’s the present Labour party who are sticking to this figure!

Another 1p on a litre at Morrisons, seems it goes up every 2 weeks or so there.

what price is diesel currently per litre ?

In fact for the person why tried to blame the current fuel prices on Thatcher, it was John Major who created the fuel duty escalator. Previously the fuel tax had risen relatively in live with inflation. It was the major government who increased the tax but it was the Blair government who raised it to 6% above inflation and it’s the present Labour party who are sticking to this figure!

Yes, all governments jack up the price as much as they can-its the easiest way to raise cash, when the price drops low (relatively) they'll rush in again to jack it up (all in the name of Global Warming, you know). Gordon Brown must have a hot line wired permanently to his ear listening for the oil price to drop. It's known as "got you over an oil barrel" tax.

The oil companies have long since realised, along with every-one else, the EU, utility companies, immigrants, asylum seekers, et al, that the the Brits are the softest touch on planet earth and the "government" are only too pleased to get the extra duty from higher fuel prices.

As nation, we've been brainwashed into being liberal and tolerant.

They will have to go to a fiver a litre before I even think about parking my motor up.

They will have to go to a fiver a litre before I even think about parking my motor up.

This is the sort of attitude by the population our government thrive upon.

There would be rioting on the streets in mainland Europe if fuel rose to these levels!! We just sit back and let it happen....we seem to be an apathetic nation who are prepared to take it up the jacksy every which way! :rant:

I'd like to see the government raise tax on petrol as high as possible and use the revenue gained to subsidise public transport.

I'd like to see the government raise tax on petrol as high as possible and use the revenue gained to subsidise public transport.

I'd like to see it drop by 20p/litre for private users and 30p/litre for road transport.

petrol station in thorpe hesley is now 107.9 for petrol and diesel yet a mile down the road to rotherham its only 103.9 (still too expensive if you ask me).

i think it shouldn't be any more than £1 per litre