John burkill the pram man

Today I saw a gent walking along Penistone Road dressed in a Green Wig and green clothes labelled Macmillan Cancer charity pushing a shopper trolley.

I saw him about 2 weeks ago near Kelham Island dressed the same walking towards Penistone Road.

His trolley has a sign on the front however because I'm driving I don't get chance to read it. He's no spring chicken but is walking with a real purpose (despite a bandaged knee).

Does anybody know who is and what he is doing etc? Does he have a Justgiving site?

Regards all.

ive seen him today. once on Peniston Road, and again in town. I dont know what hes doing either! Id like to know too!

Oh his sign said something about walking a thousand miles i think..

I saw him today aswell tram driver put some change in his buccket as we was at infirmry rd stop driver said he has seen him few times an he is walking for macmillan

I saw him too, and put some cash in his bucket.

Does anybody know his story?.. I would be really intrested!

That's John Burkill. Here is some more information from the Yorkshire post about him.

ARTICLE

Pram-pusher clocks up 900 miles for Macmillan

John Burkhill, 69, completes his epic 900-mile charity walking challenge for Macmillan Cancer Support at the Hillsborough Arena, Sheffield.

WHEN the annual "Star Walk" – a 12-mile hike around Sheffield to raise money for charity – finished eight years ago many thought the fundraiser had forever been consigned to the history books.

But 69-year-old John Burkhill has now resurrected the walk not just once but 74 times over, to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. Every day since September, except some Sundays, he has started out from High Street in the city centre and completed the route, collecting donations in an old pram along the way.

The sprightly grandfather, well-known in Sheffield for fundraising with his pram, decided to re-trace the route 74 times to match the number of times the walk had been held over the years.

Yesterday afternoon he finally completed his epic 900-mile challenge at Hillsborough Arena.

Mr Burkhill, from the Richmond area of Sheffield, said: "Many thanks to everyone in Sheffield for all their donations en route and for the wonderful support I have received over the past two to three months while completing my challenge.

"There have been a number of very cold and wet days when the words of encouragement received have really made a big difference."

Mr Burkhill has raised more than £120,000 for charity over the years and is the proud holder of almost 300 medals and countless certificates.

The pram-pushing tradition began by accident on a starting line more than two decades ago when one competitor, who pulled a muscle, was unable to push a pram he had intended to take round the course and Mr Burkhill took it for him.

He said: "It was a lot of fun, and then it started to be my trademark. Now, when I go past the crowds spectators throw money in it."

He decided to aid Macmillan after losing both his wife and daughter to cancer in 1992.

Macmillan area fundraising manager Steve Loane said: "John is a real star and we thank him for all the time and effort he has put into this challenge and all his other fundraising for Macmillan.

"We rely entirely on voluntary donations to deliver our local cancer support services."

he has been doing it since last year, thats when we saw him december time i think, in febuary this year he was robbed by some chav, took all of his fundraising money, what a <removed>, but that didnt put him down, he still carried on, he walks absolutly miles! i wish i had his stamina and determination, well done love!

Edited by Merlina
Masked Swearing

this man derserves a knight hood good luck john time you had a spot on look north or calendar, any one in the know or radio sheffield

I think he deserves some press too.. I will email Calendar and Look North and direct them to this thread..

Thanks for the replys and answers to my questions. What he is doing is amazing. I will certainly make a donation to Macmillan for his actions and if I see him again whilst driving by will give him a honk and a thumbs up.

Well done John.

i thought this walk was 1000 miles between Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday grounds.

I was talking to him last Saturday, and that is what he told me. It was also in the Star one day last week.