Anyone work for the old coal merchants

My great uncle used to work for Sutcliffes. They had an office in the goods yard next to the canal wharf- the building still exists. As a very small child I can remember being taken to the Sutcliffes home somewhere near where the Hallamshire Hospital is. I think we were giving a member of the Sutcliffe family a lift home on a Saturday morning. It's a dim memory though!

The lorry was a small flatbed, which I remember bringing coal to our house on the Arbourthorne estate in the early fifties. It was red and not signwritten.

:)Trying to find out as much information as I can about reg Jones the coal merchant I am his grandson and trying to find some old pictures of the trucks and things like that hope someone can help thank you

Remember him delivering our coal (off Grammar St, 6), he was a pleasant fellow if I can remember, and his leather shoulder pad to carry the sacks of coal/coke.

My father, Lawrence Spittlehouse, worked all his life for British Fuel. I think the company started out as Hallamshire Fuel Co, then Burnett and Hallamshire, when he retired in 1978 it was British Fuel. He started out as a clerk and worked at the Canal Wharf offices, I visited him many times there in the 50s, then he moved to Change Alley and eventually, after several promotions, to Psalter Lane. The logo of Burnett and Hallamshire was a little coalman called "Billy Burnco"(does anyone remember this). They produced all sorts of advertising things with this logo on. Among other Billy Burnco advertising items I still have are new packs of playing cards with Billy Burnco printed on - there was no company name just the picture of Billy which must have been so well known in Sheffield they didn't need to print the company name.

:)Trying to find out as much information as I can about reg Jones the coal merchant I am his grandson and trying to find some old pictures of the trucks and things like that hope someone can help thank you
Hi young Ian new your grandad well top bloke rememder a lot of other names that's also been mentioned to Jack Morrell and his son who just took his CPC last time we spoke many years ago

Hi young Ian new your grandad well top bloke rememder a lot of other names that's also been mentioned to Jack Morrell and his son who just took his CPC last time we spoke many years ago

I think Reg's lorries were blue livery and sign-written in gold lettering on the doors.

My Dad, Jack Morrell, was the Yard Foreman, at the Burnett & Hallamshire (later British Fuel Company (Sheffield) Ltd), Coal Depot, on the Nunnery Sidings just off Bernard Road.

I went to work with him in 1987, starting off driving a Wheeled Loading Shovel, before going on to be the Weighman, and the Transport Supervisor.

In 1989, the company split and the Bulk Haulage, E.A. Stevensons, became part of K&M Haulage Nottingham.

The coal side, and 2 blower lorries merged with Cawoods (part of Redlands PLC) to form British Fuels Ltd.

The site was compulsory Purchased so that the SuperTram depot could be built, we were moved off the site on 30 of June 1991.

I went to the office on Smithywood Crescent, just off Archer Road. He went out on loan first to the pre packing plant at Boughton, then in Maw's Yard, and then out to Goole to work on an import project.

The Sheffield office was closed in December of 1991, all the work was transferred to Nottingham and I went to a Portacabin in W.Maw's yard Rotherham.

At the end it was just Dad, Me and two lorry drivers, we were all made redundant on the 31st of July 1992.

This could be a bit off topic, but I am trying to trace "Stevenson E.A. Ltd. coal mers." from the 1954 Kelly's Directory. The address I have is 31 Bedford Street S6. Is this the same E.A. Stevensons that you refer to? Or did the company have multiple addresses? Thanks

Yes that is correct,he was half brother to my uncle Hedley, I am a cousin of Judy and Roy Milner, the children of Hedley Milner we all lived in the same area, just off Ecclesall Road. Judy lives at Sandygate and Roy in Chesterfield, we are all in regular touch with each other

---------- Post added 30-12-2015 at 14:30 ----------

Yes that is correct,he was half brother to my uncle Hedley, I am a cousin of Judy and Roy Milner, the children of Hedley Milner we all lived in the same area, just off Ecclesall Road. Judy lives at Sandygate and Roy in Chesterfield, we are all in regular touch with each other. He kept his lorry on the sidings at Millhouses.:)

---------- Post added 30-12-2015 at 14:37 ----------

My Uncle Hedley Milner operated out of the Millhouses coal sidings also his son Roy. they lived on Denham Road, Sheffield and ran the office from there. He worked in all weathers and some days used to come home wet through. I am the cousin and still keep in regular touch with my cousins of Hedley Judy & Roy.

It was always wonderful to have an open fire. ;)

Hi Vera. Once again I’m trying to track down my late fathers past! I’d like to contact Judy and Roy. Could you send me a message if I can do this. Can’t message you as I only have 3 posts on the site, thanks a lot.

On 04/04/2011 at 09:24, skippy said:

I worked for Goodison's on wood St in 1963, I think that was the old Kelvin area, it was hard work, but that was when we didn't have to go to the gym to keep fit, and the money was ok

Hi Skippy, Think I have communicated to you before? I am in rural NSW. 

I am currently researching my Goodison family, and note an earlier post by you saying you worked for Goodison the coal merchant.  Do you have any more information about this?

Thanks

Sarah

Wesley  Nichols was old coal man,Dennis Baines married is daughter Ann,

Hi does anybody remember a Coal Merchant called Lesley  Sullivan who was my uncle he  worked out of a place near reform chapel. At the back of the chapel was a transport cafe run by a his wife called Edna who's coal yard was just across  the road in the late  1960 ish. In his yard was old sheds were they used to keep the horses  before they changed to wagons. Its would be nice if somebody did remember anything about the good old days. I remember going down for my lunch and sitting with the scruffy drivers that came in to eat at the time. Its were i first tried a tomato dip because one of the drivers had one so I asked my aunty if i could have the same 

. He put white pepper all over it so did  I ,..! I had to eat it because he was watching me and the pepper was very HOT...!  I never had another for years but I love them now but my wife thinks  I'm crazy with the amount of white  pepper I put on it Ha ,Ha Ha 

HAPPY DAYS 

I remember the name Dennis brothers although l didn't know  them personally, but my dad was one half of R.S. Knight & Co. Ltd. His name was Len Torr & he was a partner in the business along with Fred Knight, the son of the founder, Robert Sturley Knight. They were based at Heeley sidings, Fred lived on Glen Rd. & we lived on Norton Lees Rd. Both places had big yards where the lorries could be parked. The business was sold when Fred decided to retire.