Anyone work for the old coal merchants

Reg Jones used to deliver our coal back in Walkley during 60s

My Dad, Jack Morrell, was the Yard Foreman, at the Burnett & Hallamshire (later British Fuel Company (Sheffield) Ltd), Coal Depot, on the Nunnery Sidings just off Bernard Road.

I went to work with him in 1987, starting off driving a Wheeled Loading Shovel, before going on to be the Weighman, and the Transport Supervisor.

In 1989, the company split and the Bulk Haulage, E.A. Stevensons, became part of K&M Haulage Nottingham.

The coal side, and 2 blower lorries merged with Cawoods (part of Redlands PLC) to form British Fuels Ltd.

The site was compulsory Purchased so that the SuperTram depot could be built, we were moved off the site on 30 of June 1991.

I went to the office on Smithywood Crescent, just off Archer Road. He went out on loan first to the pre packing plant at Boughton, then in Maw's Yard, and then out to Goole to work on an import project.

The Sheffield office was closed in December of 1991, all the work was transferred to Nottingham and I went to a Portacabin in W.Maw's yard Rotherham.

At the end it was just Dad, Me and two lorry drivers, we were all made redundant on the 31st of July 1992.

Hi madsteve, i used to work at b&h 1969-1975, and i remember jack ,we got on very well together,i was driving the charrold bagging lorrys, then went on to driving the bulk tippers and blowers. When the miners strike was on, in the early 70s i used to go down to bernard rd at 6am and drive the fully loaded wagon out before the miners pickets arrived at 7am and go home with the wagon untill 8am,then i would meet your dad at clairs cafe on corner of woodbourn rd, then after a hearty breakfast we would deliver the load to customers allover sheffield, and boy did they appreciate us arriving with their coal as it was wintertime and no one was getting any home coal delivered because of the miners pickets everywhere. I can also remember us coming back to bernard rd one afternoon after delivering another one of our clandestine loads and there were hundreds of pickets and police,the pickets were going crazy to get at us and the police were trying to hold them back and shouting at me to keep going and to drive straight through them, i did this as careful as i could but the pickets were dragging the doors open but fortunately we got through without anyone getting hurt although i could feel the wagon running over their feet. The reason how they found out about us going out early with the wagon was because Bedfords tools across the road had grassed us up to the pickets.anyway we still managed to carry on delivering coal to many desperate households in the middle of a cold winter and i can remember the customers sincere appreciation that we had managed to make their delivery. well i sincerely hope that jack is still around and if so please give him my very best wishes,PAT H.

Hi madsteve, i used to work at b&h 1969-1975, and i remember jack ,we got on very well together,i was driving the charrold bagging lorrys, then went on to driving the bulk tippers and blowers. When the miners strike was on, in the early 70s i used to go down to bernard rd at 6am and drive the fully loaded wagon out before the miners pickets arrived at 7am and go home with the wagon untill 8am,then i would meet your dad at clairs cafe on corner of woodbourn rd, then after a hearty breakfast we would deliver the load to customers allover sheffield, and boy did they appreciate us arriving with their coal as it was wintertime and no one was getting any home coal delivered because of the miners pickets everywhere. I can also remember us coming back to bernard rd one afternoon after delivering another one of our clandestine loads and there were hundreds of pickets and police,the pickets were going crazy to get at us and the police were trying to hold them back and shouting at me to keep going and to drive straight through them, i did this as careful as i could but the pickets were dragging the doors open but fortunately we got through without anyone getting hurt although i could feel the wagon running over their feet. The reason how they found out about us going out early with the wagon was because Bedfords tools across the road had grassed us up to the pickets.anyway we still managed to carry on delivering coal to many desperate households in the middle of a cold winter and i can remember the customers sincere appreciation that we had managed to make their delivery. well i sincerely hope that jack is still around and if so please give him my very best wishes,PAT H.

It's smashing when working class stick together in't it.:(

i see your point cuttsie,but we had 1000s of tons of fuel stockpiled at bernard road for domestic households [NOT FOR INDUSTRY] so this was not affecting the miners plight ,and every one of B&H FUELS drivers were laid off and having to sign on as we were caught up in their strike,because we worked from the collieries on a daily basis ,we had complete sympathy and support for the miners as we worked with them every day.:nono:

i see your point cuttsie,but we had 1000s of tons of fuel stockpiled at bernard road for domestic households [NOT FOR INDUSTRY] so this was not affecting the miners plight ,and every one of B&H FUELS drivers were laid off and having to sign on as we were caught up in their strike,because we worked from the collieries on a daily basis ,we had complete sympathy and support for the miners as we worked with them every day.:nono:

Well it was a hard time for every one and planned by the tories so as to turn the working class against each other[ as disclosed only last week proving that Scagill was right all along]

The goverment are still at it today blaming the unemployed and immigrants for all the Countries ills while they stash away millions in offshore acounts.

Still its no good falling out about it because there is not a dam thing the working class can do, no matter which party is in Goverment today.

Back to Sheffields coal men:)

My Dad, Jack Morrell, was the Yard Foreman, at the Burnett & Hallamshire (later British Fuel Company (Sheffield) Ltd), Coal Depot, on the Nunnery Sidings just off Bernard Road.

I went to work with him in 1987, starting off driving a Wheeled Loading Shovel, before going on to be the Weighman, and the Transport Supervisor.

In 1989, the company split and the Bulk Haulage, E.A. Stevensons, became part of K&M Haulage Nottingham.

The coal side, and 2 blower lorries merged with Cawoods (part of Redlands PLC) to form British Fuels Ltd.

The site was compulsory Purchased so that the SuperTram depot could be built, we were moved off the site on 30 of June 1991.

I went to the office on Smithywood Crescent, just off Archer Road. He went out on loan first to the pre packing plant at Boughton, then in Maw's Yard, and then out to Goole to work on an import project.

The Sheffield office was closed in December of 1991, all the work was transferred to Nottingham and I went to a Portacabin in W.Maw's yard Rotherham.

At the end it was just Dad, Me and two lorry drivers, we were all made redundant on the 31st of July 1992.

Can't remember the name but there was a coal merchants at the end of

tadcaster on woodseats, behind where the fireplace shop is now.

Stan Turner from Valley rd, about five foot three tall but strong as an ox , a smashing fella always a word for you.

Remember Wesley Nichols coal merchants they had there yard at Wadsley Bridge went to School with is daughter Ann who married Dennis Baines,in the 60s they has a guy named Allan who used to work for them he used to booze in the White Lion corner of Wicker and Nursery St,my brother in law kept the pub.I think W.Nichols still have yard at Wadsley Bridge.

It's the 1973 strike that is being referred to. But if we are going to have the discussion.

In 1990 we did a boat job.

The coal was Australian. It was opencasted, loaded onto a truck and driven to the docks in the standard cargo containers, put on a a bulk cargo vessel, sent across the Indian Ocean, around the Cape of Good Hope, up the Coast of Africa, into either Rotterdam, Holland or Antwerp, Belgium, screened into various sizes, (we took Coal Singles) loaded on to a Coastal Vessel or Sea going barge, sailed across the North Sea, and then discharged by crane grab at Gunness Wharves, near Scunthorpe, into awaiting wagon. It cost us (British Fuel) £30 per tonne. Everybody made a profit.

That same year we stocked Coal Singles from Rossington Colliery, Doncaster, I had trucks waiting upto 3 hours for a load, and it cost £65.60 per tonne!

Coal has only 2 purposes, energy source for a coal powered electricity generating station, and for heating. So would you pay double just to keep some lazy B@$t@rd in a job, then when they've took their £28,000 redundancy (which we all paid for through our taxes) they don't stop moaning about it?

And another thing, the miners were first on the plane to Spain, they didn't worry about Franco and the Spanish Civil war, just Sunshine and a Cold Beer. Or the people doing holidays on the East Coast resorts.

Also they went out and bought, Datsun Cherry's and Bluebird's from D.C. Cook's, not Austin Alllegro's, Maxi's or Morris Marina's, all made using Sheffield steel.

No, Scargill was the equivalent of a Chicago Mob boss, sending flying pickets out to cause trouble and intimidation. And they all followed him like lemmings. But he made sure her got a big fat pension off their union contributions.

So don't come all working class unity. We worked for a living, we didn't carry lazy b@$t@rds.

It's the 1973 strike that is being referred to. But if we are going to have the discussion.

The coal was Australian. It was opencasted, loaded onto a truck and driven to the docks in the standard cargo containers, put on a a bulk cargo vessel, sent across the Indian Ocean, around the Cape of Good Hope, up the Coast of Africa, into either Rotterdam, Holland or Antwerp, Belgium, screened into various sizes, (we took Coal Singles) loaded on to a Coastal Vessel or Sea going barge, sailed across the North Sea, and then discharged by crane grab at Gunness Wharves, near Scunthorpe, into awaiting wagon. It cost us (British Fuel) £30 per tonne. Everybody made a profit.

That same year we stocked Coal Singles from Rossington Colliery, Doncaster, I had trucks waiting upto 3 hours for a load, and it cost £65.60 per tonne!

Coal has only 2 purposes, energy source for a coal powered electricity generating station, and for heating. So would you pay double just to keep some lazy B@$t@rd in a job, then when they've took their £28,000 redundancy (which we all paid for through our taxes) they don't stop moaning about it?

And another thing, the miners were first on the plane to Spain, they didn't worry about Franco and the Spanish Civil war, just Sunshine and a Cold Beer. Or the people doing holidays on the East Coast resorts.

Also they went out and bought, Datsun Cherry's and Bluebird's from D.C. Cook's, not Austin Alllegro's, Maxi's or Morris Marina's, all made using Sheffield steel.

No, Scargill was the equivalent of a Chicago Mob boss, sending flying pickets out to cause trouble and intimidation. And they all followed him like lemmings. But he made sure her got a big fat pension off their union contributions.

So don't come all working class unity. We worked for a living, we didn't carry lazy b@$t@rds.

Well said.

Well Steve, we all know that Scargill and a few others have done very well out of the unions.

I myself live in a mining community and see some of the lazy buztards you are on about speeding past me on go faster invalid scooters coughing and spluttering spit and phlem into the gutter { on invalidity due to working in the depths of hell [80 miners died in one incident] so may be they are the lucky ones.

They spent there redundancy years ago they have plastic windows to show for it now! big spenders these lads.

Today we have the top so called elite in this Country still owning 90% of the wealth as the working and non working classes strugle to pay our heating bills} [no coal now and not many coal men] The public Schoolboys in charge who make up the judiciary and most of the house of Lords are happy to see posts like yours it must make their day .job done eh!

.....Revealed this week, Scargill tried to buy his Council flat in London.