Stranglers sans hugh

i was a fan of the stranglers in the late 70's/ early 80's and saw them in concert numerous times. however, since hugh cornwell left the band i haven't bothered because to me it would be like watching the stones without jagger, queen without mercury etc.

have any stranglers fans seen the 'new' band and what are their opinions?

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Saw them a few times with Paul Roberts as front-man, and it was always disappointing, but seen them a couple of times with the new line up and really enjoyed it. It seems like the old band again, with JJ taking more vocal duties.

And Jet Black still drumming at 70 ... crikey!

Edit ... 72 now ... even more crikey!!

Edited by quisquose

ive seen em a couple of times........post cornwell, think it was paul robberts.......i enjoyed em, good gigs, then again i never saw em in their prime

I saw them at Leamington Spa about 15 months ago - they were just as brilliant as ever, I didn't even notice that Hugh wasn't there. Baz Warne can really knock out some sounds !

London Lady = phwarrrrrrrrr

I saw them at Leamington Spa about 15 months ago - they were just as brilliant as ever, I didn't even notice that Hugh wasn't there. Baz Warne can really knock out some sounds !

London Lady = phwarrrrrrrrr

The Stranglers at Lemington Spa? I say, how middle class. That just doesn't seem right. Not like The Rainbow when I first saw them in 1981.

Talking of The Rainbow, and "sans Hugh", here's one infamous 1980 concert I definitely wish I was at:

http://www.skippyscage.com/features/rainbow.html

Very sad news, a brilliant keyboard player.

I must admit I'd forgotten about this thread as I saw The Stranglers supporting Alice Cooper last year and they were very good with Baz Warne as the frontman. All being well I'm due to see them at the city hall in October.

1 hour ago, charliewag said:

Very sad news, a brilliant keyboard player.

I must admit I'd forgotten about this thread as I saw The Stranglers supporting Alice Cooper last year and they were very good with Baz Warne as the frontman. All being well I'm due to see them at the city hall in October.

Maybe Baz will be playing keyboards now too lol, as well as sing and play guitar