Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

I remember going t the old club around 57. a bag of crisp and a bottle of pop and I was happy for the rest of t night.

aye me grandad used to try bring them for me granny and she was 62...lol

Can anyone tell me how the' La Plata' [is that correct spelling?] got its name

There were some bloody good old days in the late fifties and early sixties, Dancing at the City hall and the Mecca, and getting chucked out for jiving. Bike racing clubs like the Pheonix and others that did everything together including getting drunk. A pint or two at the mucky duck after a movie at the Hippodrome. Going to the Attercliffe Palace for some raunchy comedians. That's when a gourmet meal was Steak, egg, and chips, and no decent Sheffie would eat pizza cos it was "foreign". ( I love pizza.)

Re the La Plata club. Back in the mists of time there was a "La Plata" steelworks at Malin Bridge, so the club must have been there for the benefit of the steelworkers and took it's name from the works. Like the Loco club was for the locomotive workers who worked down the road.

Thanks for the info; Pitsmoorlad.

My dad was a member there in the early 50s.Even though we lived on the Parson Cross estate he and the next door neighbour would be at the club every Sunday afternoon.Not happy memories

This message for POPT. I wonder if this is the same Johnny Rivers who lives in Bewdley. Used to sing at our local when it was a proper local. Changed hands now so no such thing as live music for the last 12 months or so. Johnny would be in his 50's, used to live up the road from me but hes moved now. Cant remember his proper surname but hes an irish guy.

I used to go to St Philips Club.

I remember seeing Harry Bendon, one of his specialities was farting into the microphone after he'd put it down his trousers.

He would also take someone's pint off table and drink it before spitting it back into t'glass. He did some singing as well. (One to take your granny to!)

I also saw Tony Whyte a few times there and he was a scream.

Also St Philips was the first place I saw Bobby Knutt live when he was on the stand-up comedian circuit.

I'll think of some more turns and get back to you.

Hi my Mother worked as a barmaid in the 60s at the Upper Heeley WMC & She also worked at The Queens Road Social Club in the 70s,where I met some of the then present Sheffield United Team ,Trevor Hockey etc;My dad used to live on the Manor & he used to go to the Park & Arbourthorne & The Arundel,my wifes Uncle Joe Lingard was I think the President at the Arundel in the 70s,me & my Brother Barrie were Stewards on a trip for the Park & Arbourthorne 1977 what a day kids spewing everywhere & that was just me & my brother,no really it was a laugh.

Comedians at the clubs. Knutty, Ron Delta, Pat McCluskey, Barton Brothers, Tony Whyte, Marti Caine, Stan Richards, a weird bloke called John Paul Jones, I'm sure there's more that others can suggest.

Strippers were always called Miss X.

Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy.

Originally posted by Wavey

Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy.

Yes mate I remember some kids were sick due to drinking cider,I hope you've been a good lad since lol