Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

I saw Ron Delta several times at the Pitsmoor in the 70s and he was getting on a bit then, is he still around.

Bitter Suite, Tyke, New Jersey Turnpike all top groups of the 70s, Calandar, Ohara and his playboys, Discos you could never get a seat when they were on.

Lynne Perry (Ivy Tilsley) at the Loco club.

CFS band or something who used to do ELO tunes.

Dont use the clubs anymore so cant comment on todays artists.

what about the balloons coming down at walkley club end of the night.

Im a member of the Arundel, still go in there occaisionally on Satuday/Sunday dinner to see my dad. I also worked the club circuit for a couple of years in the early 90s as a sound engineer for a couple of bands. Started with Steeler, who are still going today AFAIK, but with a completely different lineup, then did some work with the Bad Ass Groovers, a 70s disco band. Guitarist from Steeler is now with a band called Intanet, their keyboard player joined Powerplay, think hes still with them. Singer is now with a band called Fright Night, a Gutterband style act, all costumes and theatrics. Theres still a pretty big club scene in Sheffield, it just doesnt get talked about much.

Talking of balloons coming down.

What about the Sunday afternoon at the Crookes WMC when the balloons went up!

Someone placed a beer bottle on the stage when the stripper's back was turned.

When she turned around and saw the bottle she completely lost her temper.

She picked up the bottle and threw it with all her might into the audience and stormed off the stage.

The bottle hit an innocent drinker in the head.

The balloons certainly went up that afternoon.

Does anybody remember the decibelmeters introduced into the clubs in the early 70's . If any artist or artists volume exceeded a certain volume monitored by these machines it would cut the power on the stage for a few minutes or till the concert chairman reset it.The meters limits could be doctored, so it was rumoured if you were an artist and too loud or got on the wrong side of the chairman be prepared for some uneasy silencers.It was rumoured that Bitter Suite ripped one off the wall and through it out of the dressing room window .

First saw marti caine at dial house club.

she ran a cafe at firth park before that.

Does anyone remember Ronnie Dukes and Ricki Lee.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Tony White, he used to work a lot of the clubs, and went on to spend a lot of time compering at the Fiesta he was a funny bloke who should have had more recognition, also we went up to Idsworth road club to see Bobby Knutt who at that time used to fill any club he worked, and there looked like being a riot when the secretary turned up the lights at 11 o'clock, but promptly turned them back down again when it looked like he would be going to the Northern General instead of home...lol....and what about the bloke who sat on the door making sure you had your affiliation card with you.

I remember going on kids trips to Blackpool and Skeg,with my mates mom, that were arranged by the Arundel and The Park & Arbourthorne.. happy days. I don't think Blackpool or Skeg knew what had hit them. Anyone else used to go on them in the early-mid 70s.

The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.

Originally posted by Timbuck

The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.

Your're joking of course Timbuck ? Wasn't he also the one who annouced the band by saying

" And now, for tonights entertainment we have The Don Moore Trio and his group" ?

I remember going on the Loco WMC Club trips to Mablethorpe, and the Pitsmoor Club trips to Cleethorpes. The great thing was the Pitsmoor Club trips were on the train from Victoria Station.

The Discos ( 4 Mimes) were at the Loco every Christmas cos they lived that end of town. Also remember Liz Andrews and roundabout, Ronnie Dukes & Ricki Lee,and Robert King's All Stars. Anybody remember the Mynah Bird that they had at the Loco Club. It used to regularly stop the Bingo by shouting "House". If it was the last game, everybody would throw their tickets on the floor then scramble to find them again when the Comittee man announced it was the bird that had shouted.