Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

lived at the shiregreen working mens years ago

Back in the good old days,I was resident drummer at Intake,Tinsley,Brinsworth,Silverwood,Golden Dragon and Aquarius.BBC Radio Sheffield and occasional deps for TC at the Fiesta.Over the years,I became a close friend and drummer with a lot of the Stars of tomorrow including My very good pal Paul Shane,Marti(Lynn),Tony Whyte,Lynn Perrie,Bobby and Tommy aka Cannon and Ball.The relationships between fellow resident musicians and 't'turns in general was like one big happy family.In hindsight what a blessing it was to be part of the Clubland scene back in the 60s and 70s.So sad to read and hear of clubs closing, the scene drying up along with the passing of so many of my Muso mates and Entertainer friends.

anybody remember shiregreen club members

wakey terry wake howard brown gary brunt steve jowett tommy woodward

used to take wakey howard big alan and another lad out in the car early friday night for an hour vauxhall viva dont know how it moved.

great times though

I was working in Jersey at the Opera House for the Max Bygraves,Frankie Vaughn show while Ronnie and Ricky and the boys were at Behans West Park.I met the lads a lot over the Season along with Terry who Ive known for years from our times on the clubs,Dean and Perry came to Max Bygraves recording session ,one on bass one on Percussion,I played drums on the session.It was a terrible shock for all of us on the Island when Ronnie passed.Ricki came back later in the season to close out the final days of the season.I told Deano and Perry that I lived on Brinsworth Road and Brinsworth hall Estate when they lived at the end of Brinsworth Road and Broadway.

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 11:34 ----------

Tinsley Club .

Memories flood back. My drum residency with Iris Ward on the Organ was a great time.Full houses, Johnny Duffy,Graham McLain, Canon and Ball.

Bobby Ball refused admission to the club by the door. “Ar tha filliated ?””tha come in if tha not”

Chairman Tommy Ball to the rescue.”Don’t worry lad,I’ll sign there in”. Sad I had to leave but Radio Sheffield and the Aquarius came calling for me .

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 11:35 ----------

Tinsley Club .

Memories flood back. My drum residency with Iris Ward on the Organ was a great time.Full houses, Johnny Duffy,Graham McLain, Canon and Ball.

Bobby Ball refused admission to the club by the door. “Ar tha filliated ?””tha come in if tha not”

Chairman Tommy Ball to the rescue.”Don’t worry lad,I’ll sign there in”. Sad I had to leave but Radio Sheffield and the Aquarius came calling for me .

On 21/02/2008 at 23:37, english4u2 said:

My dad was the concert sec at the aeu club for as long as I can remember, booking acts like Gerry Dorsey,Ronnie Dukes and Rikki Lee etc. This must have been in the late 1960s,70s,80s. I can assure you we are not related. Remember Pat Nolan? Wasnt Harry and Grace the stewards then? After it was Terry Parkin.

Terry is my grandad, what does AEU stand for? x

829.jpeg

1 hour ago, Leannecarol said:

Terry is my grandad, what does AEU stand for? x

Amalgamated Engineering Union.

Was The Ranch at Chapeltown a Working Men's Club or was it something to do with the sports field next to it?

7 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Was The Ranch at Chapeltown a Working Men's Club or was it something to do with the sports field next to it?

Blimey, fancy you knowing the Ranch.

I've been in there a couple of times years ago.

I don't think it was a WMC.

Think it was the Chapeltown cricket sports club.

They used to play a lot of cricket on the sports field...wonder if it's still there?

5 hours ago, Padders said:

Blimey, fancy you knowing the Ranch.

I've been in there a couple of times years ago.

I don't think it was a WMC.

Think it was the Chapeltown cricket sports club.

They used to play a lot of cricket on the sports field...wonder if it's still there?

Wernt Arthur Lees club down there ?

45 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

Wernt Arthur Lees club down there ?

Don't know Gaz.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Don't know Gaz.

Am.sure it was its a boozer now meadow farm nice carvery by all accounts but never been so can't guarantee it 😉 try beck at Mablethorpe very nice 😀..

• Thanks 1