Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

We must have met each other at some time. I used to go there from 1963 to 1974 I suppose. When were you around. My dad was 'on the committee' at one time, Johnny Proctor was his name, maybe your parents remember him?

My Mum passed away in 1977 & my Dad 1990,my Mum worked behind the Bar as said & my Dad was a regular,so they probably knew your Dad,but sadly I cannot find out.

Hi for my sins I'm a life member of Hartley House social club, joined at 18 in 1971. Before that used to go in with my grandad when I was about 12. Seen some popular acts there in the seventies, Charlie Brown, Duggie Brown and Joe Longthorne when he was just starting out. My grandads brother was on the comittee in the early seventies his name was Charlie Pearson. My stepdad was also a member he used to collect glasses now and then his name was Bill Ward, they reckon he used to have a pint in every room. Once or twice went to the Shiregreen WMC to see the strippers on a thursday night (not a pretty sight some times). Don't go that much now as I live in Rotherham, keep paying my subs though. Been on quite a few day trips when I was a kid mostly Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe. I preferred the club before they modernised it a few years ago. :thumbsup:

there were a group of Sheffield bus drivers who used to do the circuit - they were "drag" artists that mined to music also used to dress up as allsorts and mine to all the latest bits of music coppled together and put on a tape and played in the background.

Anyone shed any light?

Do you mean the Discoes? The opening act was Bridget the midget.

Yeah that was them, my uncle was part of that, they were hilarous

The Discoes are alive and kicking, but don't do their stuff anymore, they are now known as the Cee Bee Variety Agency and their premises are in the left hand end of the Queens Road WMC

As previously mentioned.

3 dog man was your grandad the doorman at hartley house club all those years ago, when Bill was glass collecting and you went on all those trips.

Iwas a member of Southey club in the 60/70's. spent most of my time in the billiard room with my dad Sid Barton and brother Roy and my mom, Bett, had her own seat just by the window. Remember names like Cyril ? and Arthur Ball and Tommy Bingley and his brother Mel. Proposed to my wife going up the stairs to the billiard room - married 33 years now.......

happy times......

Originally posted by Heeleylass

why hasn't anyone mentioned bands on the circuit 1980's?The Internationals,who's lead singer "Neil" is still doing the rounds with The Gutterband.Radiation(Electro-pop/Bowie/John Foxx)all theatrical stage show.Dragonfly,dressed as child's nursery characters 1st half(Postman Pat etc..)excellent singer Paul & co.Toys for Girls,a bit like Radiation.Good grief I spent nearly all my life blagging my way into club's to see these acts,because "It's members only love" & conning some poor bloke outside(couldn't do it today)to take me & a mate in as guest!!!

trying to find some info out about one of the acts mentioned here, we followed the Ints around for a while and whilst reminicing the other night the curent mrs foxprom said to me i wonder if anyone everr had a video of them.

Anybody who may ahve or knows who may have let me know.

Originally posted by fuddyduddy

Does anybody remember the old Greasbrough Club near Rotherham in the 60's . It was a hybrid cross between a W.M.C and a theatre.What a night out ,4 or 5 acts on all good with star acts such as Tommy Cooper,The Shadows and Gerry and the Pacemakers.I once saw an elephant on stage and all for a token entrance fee. Just 3 games of bingo were run off very quickly because there entertainment was king not bingo.Do you remember the little bar in the corner which was hoplessly inadequate sometimes the queues to the bar stretched the full length of the concert room and everybody was buying 2 pints at a time because of that. By the way the elephant was very good,Tanya I think they called her.

Only just seen this post. I was taken to the Greasbrough Club as a child to see Freddy and the Dreamers and Gerry and the Pacemakers, amongst others.

I also used to go on club trips, and our club also had an annual panto trip and a weekend in blackpool to see the lights, both of which I went to. BTW This was Ryecroft WMC Rawmarsh, our family went there for generations, and my grandma was president of the ladies section for many years.

But I might add that as an adult I have never set foot in a working mens club. There is a club on our road, Beighton Social Club, and on Friday and Saturday evenings I often hear the "turns" and they sound OK! But I havent been in there yet... nor do I know anyone who goes. Anyone know it?

Originally posted by Foxprom

trying to find some info out about one of the acts mentioned here, we followed the Ints around for a while and whilst reminicing the other night the curent mrs foxprom said to me i wonder if anyone everr had a video of them.

Anybody who may ahve or knows who may have let me know.

The Internationals went out as a soul band with a new singer for a few years after Neil left .

Jem who was bass player is now living in Benidorm and goes out as a standup comic.

Radiation split up and some of them moved abroad some formed groups n duo's in and around Sheffield..

There's a vid of the Internationals (soul band) knocking about used to have it.