Sheffield mandolin orchestra

I have a Mandolin but i have no idea how to play, could I still come along and learn a few cords?

Certainly! In the next couple of days I'll settle on a date for a first get-together.

Hi All,

I'll be at the Rude Shipyard, Abbeydale Road, at 10-12 on Saturday 23rd. I hope you can make it along!

It's been tricky trying to organise a date. The uke group don't book with the shipyard as it's ok just to turn up. Saturday will avoid a clash, and I hope that in the late morning you'll not have much else on. I plan to arrange more regular meetings from September. Please come along if you'd like to talk about how they could be run.

Don't forget your mandolin! Ash.

Hi Ash

What sort of music is planned? Will you (for example) have brought along a load of sheet music and suchlike? I've not heard much mandolin ensemble stuff, was wondering what you're planning on playing...

That being said, if I can make it I shall.

I have a mandolin cheese cutter which sounds pretty much the same! Can I come?

LOCATION CHANGE*.

10-12, Saturday 23rd, St. Augustine's.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=st+augustines,+brocco+bank&hl=en&cid=232500975172806437

There's parking towards the back of the church.

Just inside the doors there's a large room towards

the left. There's a kitchen, so I'll make sure

there's a good supply of tea, biscuits,...

I've popular sheet music from a mandolin ensemble in

Bristol (parts for all levels + some with chords)

and a few classics from another group I played with

(significantly harder). Enough to get started.

Please bring any music you have,

and a stand would be handy if you have one.

All mandolin players and levels welcome! I have a

A-style flatback; if you can get a decent sound out of

a cheese cutter, then I guess that's welcome too.

Ash

*The Rude Shipyard already has a busy programme for

Saturday, and numbers are quite unpredictable.

Edited by Mandolin_Ash
minor

LOCATION CHANGE*.

10-12, Saturday 23rd, St. Augustine's.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=st+augustines,+brocco+bank&hl=en&cid=232500975172806437

There's parking towards the back of the church.

Just inside the doors there's a large room towards

the left. There's a kitchen, so I'll make sure

there's a good supply of tea, biscuits,...

I've popular sheet music from a mandolin ensemble in

Bristol (parts for all levels + some with chords)

and a few classics from another group I played with

(significantly harder). Enough to get started.

Please bring any music you have,

and a stand would be handy if you have one.

All mandolin players and levels welcome! I have a

A-style flatback; if you can get a decent sound out of

a cheese cutter, then I guess that's welcome too.

Ash

*The Rude Shipyard already has a busy programme for

Saturday, and numbers are quite unpredictable.

I presume this is 10am starting...? [/daftquestion]

If so, I should be there :)

I'll be there I'll bring my mandolin - not sure if i can bring double bass as i may have no car:D

Hi All, I hope that Chris Thile's gig will inspire many people to take up the mandolin, in time to join us at the next meeting! –

730-930 October 3rd.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=st+augustines%2C+brocco+bank&hl=en&cid=232500975172806437

Mondays appear to be most convenient for the venue, and it'd be good if we could meet on the first Monday of each month. Should Monday be a bad option, please let me know.

The BMG rally has been announced http://www.banjomandolinguitar.org/rally.htm where you can download the full programme. There are competitions for amateur soloists and many types of groups.

The workshops cover a wide range of topics, from lute to banjo, baroque to choro… There’s a concert first night, open mic and ceilidh the next.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/shefmando/

Looking for people of ALL ages and abilities to play mandolin. It's intended to be laid-back opportunity to play together, chat about technique, instruments, music and mandolin-related events.

We play a mix of mandolin classics, latin music, and popular tunes, and suggestions for repertoire welcomed.

Currently meeting on the 1st Monday of each month (except 2nd Monday of Jan) at St. Augustine's, Brocco Bank, 730-930ish.

The next meeting is the 5th of December.. it'd be fun to try out some Christmas tunes!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/shefmando

Hi Ash,

I'd love to join you all if you'll have me.

I'm an old, poor (in skill, and technique) musician who's just bought himself a Mandolin. And can't play it other than guessing a few chords.

I was a rock bass player 40 years ago and not very good at that.

I've always been fascinated by acoustic instruments. Hurdy-gurdy, Sitar, Mandolin, Lute etc. as well as more modern electric/electronic instruments.

I once borrowed a Sitar and gave it back due to no instruction or idea what I was doing.

I then bought a crap Mandolin, learnt a few chords and gave up due to the Mandolin being impossible to play due to the awfully high action.

I then tried songwriting with keyboard and PC (Cubase, singing badly etc.).

Now with renewed enthusiasm and, after many years, due to health and boredom I've decided to try and learn the Mandolin again.

I've just bought a two Mandolins. One acoustic and one semi acoustic. 

Are your last Monday in the month gatherings still going on?

I've thought about attending the one on the 29th November. Maybe sit in the corner and listen/watch as I doubt I'b be able to join in.

I'd prefer to just come and meet you all, listen, learn and chat on my first visit if that would be OK.

best wishes

Pete

P.S. Since finding the group I've had a few 'Social gathering/Recruitment' ideas that might be good for you guys.