Should we be arming the Libyan rebels..

What kind of weaponry are we to arm the rebels with which would make a difference.

Unless Ghadaffi's own supporters turn against him then the rebels wont topple him. They're basically a rag tag mob with no professional leadership and little idea of battle strategies.

The UN should be pressuring Saudi Arabia to take an effective ground role. The US is up to it's eyeballs in debt. We cant afford the cost of another war. Keeping a single fighter jet operational costs a fortune and firing off the cruise misslies came to about a few hundred thousand a pop

What kind of weaponry are we to arm the rebels with which would make a difference.

Unless Ghadaffi's own supporters turn against him then the rebels wont topple him. They're basically a rag tag mob with no professional leadership and little idea of battle strategies.

The UN should be pressuring Saudi Arabia to take an effective ground role. The US is up to it's eyeballs in debt. We cant afford the cost of another war. Keeping a single fighter jet operational costs a fortune and firing off the cruise misslies came to about a few hundred thousand a pop

Saudi Arabia? :hihi: why?

Saudi Arabia? :hihi: why?

Why? Cos they got the money, lots of it and a whole arsenal of modern weaponry, planes, missiles, tanks, heavy artillery. They also have an American trained army.

Time they stepped up to the plate. I dont want my tax dollars spent on trying yet again to bring "democracy and freedom" to another Muslim country

We should just stick to what we planned in the first place that is to protect Benghazi from a mass genocide happening, we have achieved this by the NFZ and controlling the skies.

I think we are on a dodgy path if we are going to back the rebels because we will ultimately get sucked into a long civil war that will use up even more money, BTW one Tomahawk cruise missile has a reported price tag of around £950'000.

What about Sirte? Gadhaffi's home town?

Is the UN goingto beat crap out of the rebel army which is attacking civilians there?

What kind of weaponry are we to arm the rebels with...?

The best kind is the kind which uses a lot of (expensive) ammunition, can be fired randomly up into the air, doesn't take a lot of training to use and is 'fun'.

Why? Cos they got the money, lots of it and a whole arsenal of modern weaponry, planes, missiles, tanks, heavy artillery. They also have an American trained army.

And an Air Force largely supplied and trained by the Brits.

we armed saddam, we armed gaddafi, we armed the taliban, we armed bin laden then we fall out with em

politricks....such a fickle game

Pretty sure we never really liked Gadaffi, it was the Russians that armed him.

I think that getting further sucked into this murky situation just as the domestic cuts really start to hurt will be an effective way of pushing the British people into open revolt. We should keep interference to a minimum.

Time they stepped up to the plate. I don't want my tax dollars spent on trying yet again to bring "democracy and freedom" to another Muslim country

Sorry, i should of explained it better, if Saudi Arabia launched an attack on Libya it would just cause massive unrest in an already fragile middle east, not to mention of it's own internal problem that would happen.

Saudi Arabia is also experiencing internal issues like Syria, Yemen and Oman, if they invaded Libya, god knows what would happen.

What about Sirte? Gadhaffi's home town?

Is the UN goingto beat crap out of the rebel army which is attacking civilians there?

It was the Libyan government that attacked the protesters with live rounds in the first place, the rebels are advancing west (or at least trying too) they have limited weaponry and knowledge of how to use them, they are trying to get people on their side but not by force.

I don't know where you got rebels attacking civilians though but lets face it it's Gaddafi's home town, the possibilities are there for his supporters to be "bulled up" just like in any Civil war.

Man fighting man on the streets is fare game, much more then jets dropping bombs on civilians, hence the UN and the NFZ.

Where did you find that out about BP wanting to arm the Libyan opposition? I can't find anything online in the news that backs you up and I suspect it's just something you assumed to be true.

BP will be anxious about their oil prospects, but the oil isn't going anywhere at the moment.

It's my opinion. Given the fact that it was BP who wanted Libyan oil and thus Blair and co made some sort of agreement with Gaddafi. BP have a huge vested interest in the area and now the government have sided with the rebels, they will be anxious that the current regime is overthrown, cos if it's not, Gaddafi certainly won't be welcoming any company related to the UK back there anytime soon.

This is the west's perfect excuse to get rid of someone who they have hated for years. This is not about protecting the poor people of Libya, it's about settling a score and regime change and it just happens, we in the UK, have a bigger interest than most, hence why we are shouting the loudest.

Arming libyan rebels is supporting british business, lets do it - twice!

If we find enough rebels to arm - we could rebuild UK PLC's manufacturing base - a noble goal!