Buffet/traditional/classic in an Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant your view

Your on about a tapas style evei could run something like that as my day menu? Il work on that and intoduse it later once the restaurant is up and running and we have found our feet :D

"vegetarian Indian tapas" - that is, frankly, restaurant heaven for me. I've never encountered it in reality so have to summon up a rough approximation in my own kitchen occasionally

Actually, we get the most choice in your average British high street Indian compared to most other types of places! I've seen from your threads that you're looking to do something a bit different to the average place, so don't forget us :)

Il get one of the chefs working on that straightaway (more choices of vegi food) it could just go on my standard menu as we are going to do a tridishnal menu as well we will have some lovely Indian/Bangladesh veg so you will be in for a treat :D

"vegetarian Indian tapas" - that is, frankly, restaurant heaven for me.

Me too!

I'm with Evei in that most restaurant portions are far too big, and it breaks my heart to send good food away to be thrown in the bin.

Also, I'd like to be able to try some things I haven't had before without committing myself to a whole portion in case I don't like it, for the same reason.

This sounds like the ideal solution.

When we were on holiday in Sri Lanka I ordered "vegetable curry" in a restaurant. Instead of one veggie curry I got 7 different small vegetable curries it was great!

I think a better idea to a buffet would be to offer that sort of thing. A variety of small dishes which you could mix or match. So many dishes for £5 so many for £7 so many for £10 etc.....

"vegetarian Indian tapas" - that is, frankly, restaurant heaven for me. I've never encountered it in reality so have to summon up a rough approximation in my own kitchen occasionally

You will still have to wait for a bit I will get around to doing it will take some time as iv got to do so will have to think hard iv got a good idea how to do it but it has to be perfect within 6 months of opening I hope to have ironed out the cresses and everything will be in place for every one to enjoy Im takeing alot on so thats tridishnal and tapas aswell as opening in the day hmmmm will need alot of staff and good staff is hard to find in the restaurant trade (let's see wher I could nick some staff from lol)

When we were on holiday in Sri Lanka I ordered "vegetable curry" in a restaurant. Instead of one veggie curry I got 7 different small vegetable curries it was great!

I think a better idea to a buffet would be to offer that sort of thing. A variety of small dishes which you could mix or match. So many dishes for £5 so many for £7 so many for £10 etc.....

In srilanka or India/Bangladesh/Pakistan they cook it all In big pots and reheat it and serve the food it's called handi cook the problem il have to overcome is how to serve so many dishes from fresh without makeing the custmers wait too long daytime i think it should be possible it's a different matter on a fri or sat nights weekdays and daytime I think it's possible same problem with the tridishnal menu serving time as both will take longer to cook:confused:

You will still have to wait for a bit I will get around to doing it will take some time as iv got to do so will have to think hard iv got a good idea how to do it but it has to be perfect within 6 months of opening I hope to have ironed out the cresses and everything will be in place for every one to enjoy Im takeing alot on so thats tridishnal and tapas aswell as opening in the day hmmmm will need alot of staff and good staff is hard to find in the restaurant trade (let's see wher I could nick some staff from lol)

But....(sorry if I'm hijacking your restaurant thread) you effectively could do it by offering each of the main dishes at say, one third size/one third price without any extra effort other than adding it to your marketing and menu. So, 2 customers might order some popadoms then 5-6 small size main dishes with rice or breads rather than the usual two? I reckon if you explained that in your menu it would be really successful, lots of people would like to have the opportunity to try different things without completely committing to it as their sole main course, I think

Il work on it and try doing as much as I can from the opening still have a few months to figur it out but it's no good just me doing it say I fail and my place shuts :( (it won't do my regulars won't let that happen I can confidently say) :D but say it dose I still want you guys to enjoy tridishnal dish's so hears the plan tell your local Indian/Bangladeshi and Pakistani restauranturs that someone is doing tridishnal curry (home cooking) and you loved it (even if you didn't) it's the best dish you've ever they will think they are going to loses trade and hopfully should offer you tappas or tridishnal food again it will take some time but it will be worth it I hear alot of people say it's not real Indian or not tridshnal so hears your chance to change it for good I can't do it you as a customer can! POwer to the people yaay :D

Hi there, a.s.ullah,

It sounds like you’re taking many viewpoints on board. I do hope that you have a strong sense of where you’re heading with your venture – as people can, with the best intentions, be quite fickle and think only of their own tastes. If you try to please everyone you could potentially end up in trouble.

So while it might be a good idea to get ideas and feedback from the buying public, it would be in your business and financial interests to do your own, well founded market research – as I’m sure you will have done.

That said, I am intrigued to see what your U.S.P will be, so, as the established Foodie meet co-ordinator on S.F, can I suggest that you drop me a line when you decide on an opening date? I may pop in to test the water. If all goes well then I may be tempted into arranging a foodie meet there.

Regards,

Stagey.

But....(sorry if I'm hijacking your restaurant thread) you effectively could do it by offering each of the main dishes at say, one third size/one third price without any extra effort other than adding it to your marketing and menu. So, 2 customers might order some popadoms then 5-6 small size main dishes with rice or breads rather than the usual two? I reckon if you explained that in your menu it would be really successful, lots of people would like to have the opportunity to try different things without completely committing to it as their sole main course, I think

No it's fine lol it will take longer becose instead of makeing one dish per customer the chef is makeing 5 different dish's per customer 5 will take longer to cook then 1 so waiting time will Inceease and he will have to cook for many not just one so if a table of 4 come in and all Oder the thali with 5 diff dish's each chef has to cook 20 different dish's :confused: if I don't get it right he will chop my head off lol but leave it with me il fined away I like the idea as my day menu in the evening I might not be able to give u much of choice like 5 or more but if it's sucessfull in Sheffield and other restaurants follow then I'm sure someone will get it right :D

No it's fine lol it will take longer becose instead of makeing one dish per customer the chef is makeing 5 different dish's per customer 5 will take longer to cook then 1 so waiting time will Inceease and he will have to cook for many not just one so if a table of 4 come in and all Oder the thali with 5 diff dish's each chef has to cook 20 different dish's :confused: if I don't get it right he will chop my head off lol but leave it with me il fined away I like the idea as my day menu in the evening I might not be able to give u much of choice like 5 or more but if it's sucessfull in Sheffield and other restaurants follow then I'm sure someone will get it right :D

You're right, that's why I'm a greedy vegetarian rather than a chef or restaurant manager :) Anyway, good luck with your venture, I think you've taken so much potential customer feedback on here you're bound to get it right! Hope it works out for you

Just to say, buffets = yuck!!!!!!!!!!! Hate them and don't understand why anyone would eat there. Just good fresh Indian food at reasonable prices and some variety (thalis are great!) and you'll be packed ;)