Parking charges in Broomhill double

I was in Mold, North Wales last Saturday. The town centre car park was 20p for all day!

So, I saw on Saturday notices on the carpark behind the main shops in Broomhill stating the charges are to go up from 20p to 40p for an hour and 40p to 80p for two hours.

Now I know these charges are more about preventing people hogging spots for the whole day and more of an incentive to move on but how the council can justify a 100% increase is beyond me.

A blatant money making racket or not, has the world price for ticket machine stickers gone skyward or something?

QUICK ! Lets all riot!

Jesus christ, Is 40p really going to break your bank? I for one consider 40p an hour bloody cheap for parking!

I am happy to pay that for parking as I will avoid the shamblolic parking run by Excel parking and 40p is cheaper than them.

On an aside note I find parking in Broomhill amazingly cheap, I used to live in Chiswick where it is 70p per 20 minutes.

It's dead expensive in town too. Can't remember how much time £1 buys you on the likes of Trippet lane but it's not a lot.

However, in Broomhill this is a 100% rise. The rate of inflation is 5%. Even if the rise is to cover the five years that the scheme has been in place, that would only give it a rise of about 5p from 20p per hour to just over 25p hour (based on inflation being at 5% for all five years - which it hasn't been).

G

QUICK ! Lets all riot!

Jesus christ, Is 40p really going to break your bank? I for one consider 40p an hour bloody cheap for parking!

You pay to drive your car. I still fail to see why you should pay again to stop driving it. Before you quote things like supply and demand, what are we going to see next: toll booths to charge you to walk through nice bits of town? And then you pay again if you want to sit on a seat for a bit?

There is an easier answer to all this: don't bother going to Broomhill, where the residents and shopkeepers obviously don't really want you to go, but go somewhere else instead where you can park for free.

There is an easier answer to all this: don't bother going to Broomhill, where the residents and shopkeepers obviously don't really want you to go, but go somewhere else instead where you can park for free.

It's the council that apply most of the charges - the Spar rooftop carpark is an exception and not sure about the parking next to the Nottingham House.

However, overall I am pleased that the charges are there as it means that usually when I need to park for 20 minutes and can't be bothered walking then I usually can find a parking space. I do find a 100% rise a bit much though.

In the words of Harrison - 'Its an OUTRAAAAAAAGE'

You pay to drive your car. I still fail to see why you should pay again to stop driving it. Before you quote things like supply and demand, what are we going to see next: toll booths to charge you to walk through nice bits of town? And then you pay again if you want to sit on a seat for a bit?

IF I have to pay to go to a shop (because I can't walk to it and I have to take a car/bike) I don't go there.

It's the council that apply most of the charges - the Spar rooftop carpark is an exception and not sure about the parking next to the Nottingham House...

If shops go out of business because people won't pay to park to use them, the council isn't going to collect much in property tax on empty buildings.

IF I have to pay to go to a shop (because I can't walk to it and I have to take a car/bike) I don't go there.

If shops go out of business because people won't pay to park to use them, the council isn't going to collect much in property tax on empty buildings.

My sentiments exactly. I often visit those shops, and I wasn't happy about suddenly having to pay 20p when it had always been free up to then. Everybody on here at the time said, 'oh, what's 20p' - I said yes, but it will soon creep up, now they've started charging. And now we have a 100% increase. So now, I will take my business elsewhere. There is absolutely no way I would consider parking in the Excel Car Park, so farewell Broomhill shops, from me, sadly, including the charity shops there.:(

QUICK ! Lets all riot!

I think your sarcastic tone does you no favours. I too consider 40p an hour to be very cheap. What I object to is the 100% increase from 20p to 40p as a point of principle.

What I object to is the 100% increase from 20p to 40p as a point of principle.

The current administration might well point out that they have reduced the price of a residents and business permits by 72%.

you can park for free less than 5 minutes away from broomhill on the roads.

So apparently, according to an article on the Star website, it is not just the car park: this applies to all the on-street parking in the controlled zone. And indeed all the on-street parking in the other parking permit zones as well.

Just thought I'd point that out for all you 'it's only 20p' merchants.

We all knew it wouldn't be 'only 20p' for long. How right we were.