Parking charges in Broomhill double

So, I saw on Saturday notices on the carpark behind the main shops in Broomhill stating the charges are to go up from 20p to 40p for an hour and 40p to 80p for two hours.

Now I know these charges are more about preventing people hogging spots for the whole day and more of an incentive to move on but how the council can justify a 100% increase is beyond me.

A blatant money making racket or not, has the world price for ticket machine stickers gone skyward or something?

Guest sibon
So, I saw on Saturday notices on the carpark behind the main shops in Broomhill stating the charges are to go up from 20p to 40p for an hour and 40p to 80p for two hours.

Now I know these charges are more about preventing people hogging spots for the whole day and more of an incentive to move on but how the council can justify a 100% increase is beyond me.

A blatant money making racket or not, has the world price for ticket machine stickers gone skyward or something?

The car park is always full. Supply and demand:)

If you park a little further away from the shops, I think that it is cheaper. I can't see a notice on the meter across the road from me. It is currently 20p/hour and about two minutes walk to the shops.

Yes, it is a money making scheme. I'm not sure if you've been asleep for the past year but local councils budgets are being cut by 30%. Increasing charges is one of the ways to help to make up the gap.

I thought that one was a private car park?

I hope this isnt around the hallmshire hospital.

Fair enough I'd say, I'm always amazed if I find a space in them so often don't even bother looking. The car park on top of Spar is never full and it's 60p an hour, so it's even less of a differential now.

Yes, it is a money making scheme. I'm not sure if you've been asleep for the past year but local councils budgets are being cut by 30%. Increasing charges is one of the ways to help to make up the gap.

If it's the one on top of the shops, it's a private car park.

I keep forgetting to get some new visitor parking permits! My guest wont be happy with the new rates - oops.

If it's the one on top of the shops, it's a private car park.

I think he's on about the council one on Spooner Rd by the scout hut.

I think he's on about the council one on Spooner Rd by the scout hut.

OK. If that is the case, it would be the first time the charges have increased since they were introduced, which, as I recall it, was in 2006.

Transport funding has fared worse than many other service areas. Local transport scheme funding to South Yorkshire has been cut by 50%.

I am happy to pay that for parking as I will avoid the shamblolic parking run by Excel parking and 40p is cheaper than them.

On an aside note I find parking in Broomhill amazingly cheap, I used to live in Chiswick where it is 70p per 20 minutes.