Tempered springs ltd warren ST

Hi Sparky did you find arni whithers yet anyway are you the electrician that worked with Eric Loukes your boss Ijust wondered iff I am right you had blond hair I THINK Brian

My dad (Fred Horsfield) worked at Tempered Spring all his life, he came out of the RAF around 1960 ish went into Warren Street on a Friday and asked the foreman if there were any jobs going, the foreman said 'can you read a micrometer' my dad said yes, foreman said 'can you start Monday' my dad said yes. My dad then went down Attercliffe to one of the many shops there at the time to buy a second hand Moore & Wright 1 inch micrometer (which I still have) and a book on 'how to read a micrometer' he then proceeded to practice all weekend with my grandad to read said instrument (no matter how many times I have edited this it still sounds rude!) At one point he was shop floor supervisor at Warren St but he never really liked it as he used to have to go in on a Saturday morning (quite often with me!) He was a member of the football team and the fishing team of Tempered Spring. I do remember a name from some of the fishing functions we went to at Darnall working mens club (Mick Butler??) Sadly my dad died some years ago and a few people from TS attended the funeral though I don't recall the names.

Edited by illuminati

My dad (Fred Horsfield) worked at Tempered Spring all his life, he came out of the RAF around 1960 ish went into Warren Street on a Friday and asked the foreman if there were any jobs going, the foreman said 'can you read a micrometer' my dad said yes, foreman said 'can you start Monday' my dad said yes. My dad then went down Attercliffe to one of the many shops there at the time to buy a second hand Moore & Wright 1 inch micrometer (which I still have) and a book on 'how to read a micrometer' he then proceeded to practice all weekend with my grandad to read said instrument (no matter how many times I have edited this it still sounds rude!) At one point he was shop floor supervisor at Warren St but he never really liked it as he used to have to go in on a Saturday morning (quite often with me!) He was a member of the football team and the fishing team of Tempered Spring. I do remember a name from some of the fishing functions we went to at Darnall working mens club (Mick Butler??) Sadly my dad died some years ago and a few people from TS attended the funeral though I don't recall the names.

Hi I seem to know the name and I think I know him sorry to here that he died I worked at warren ST as a maintenance fitter I LEFT in 1974

.......................................................................................................

Edited by jacklev1

Hi Brian, sorry for the delay but I have,nt found anything about Arnie your best man. I will keep trying. Yes I did work under Eric Loukes, he was my supervisor,. At that time I did have long blond hair that has now turned a short thinning grey sort of style , I bet yours is still wavey and dark L.O.L. Hi Illuminati, I knew Fred H for many years . He was a very pleasant man and a joy to chat with. I also knew Mick Butler , he kept and worked the cleanest coiling machine on Tempered.

Hi Brian, sorry for the delay but I have,nt found anything about Arnie your best man. I will keep trying. Yes I did work under Eric Loukes, he was my supervisor,. At that time I did have long blond hair that has now turned a short thinning grey sort of style , I bet yours is still wavey and dark L.O.L. Hi Illuminati, I knew Fred H for many years . He was a very pleasant man and a joy to chat with. I also knew Mick Butler , he kept and worked the cleanest coiling machine on Tempered.

HI Sparky so I did know you well my hair is grey but still lots of it no thinning yet Mick Butler the name I seem to know did he work in the 22 dept or 25 dept keep working on Arnie he did a lot of fishing that may help anyway I AM thinking of coming over next year I was over last year and Istayed with my sister in law so iff I came it would be nice to meet some of you guys last year when I was over I met Bob snazell he lives in Dronfield do you remember him so keep in touch Brian

Hi Brian, Mick Butler worked mainly in 42 department ,the other side of Warren St.on the 160 and 161 coiling machines. I,m sorry but I don,t remember a Bob Snazell.Glad you have gone grey ,that makes me feel better ,but Ive got a big hole in my wig ,It lets the sunshine in L.O.L. I will keep trying for info about Arnie.

Hi Brian, Mick Butler worked mainly in 42 department ,the other side of Warren St.on the 160 and 161 coiling machines. I,m sorry but I don,t remember a Bob Snazell.Glad you have gone grey ,that makes me feel better ,but Ive got a big hole in my wig ,It lets the sunshine in L.O.L. I will keep trying for info about Arnie.

I Sparky how are you doing any luck yet on finding Arnie yet anyway give us a buzz if there is any news Brian

hi im new to this , you may no my grandad ,maurice whiteley he work there and i think some of his lads moss whiteley, walter ,and tommy all came off ripon street just at side of the reck

looking for guys who worked at tempered springs Isaw one posting with sombody Inew is name was T beard I Left there in 1974 to come to canada so iff anybody is still around give me a call I worked in the 22 dept on maintenance i was a Fitter ok Brian

Hi Folks I worked at Tempered for 13 years starting in the machine shop in 1950 age 17. Most of my time was spent in the engineering and production support sections including the drawing office and work study and I was manager of 21 dept for a time before leaving in 1963 to join another spring co. as works manager. I had a great time and knew many of the people mentioned in the forum and may be able to fill in the odd gap or two. any takers?

Hi John P Shaw. Do you by any chance remember Joan Pye. She doesnt own a computer herself. But I am doing print outs for her about this thread. It is bringing back very fond memories for her. So any memories you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Penny.

Hello everyone, I have only just seen this thread and found it very interesting. My father, Harry Gill was a lorry driver at the Tempered Spring Company during the mid to late fifties. He's passed on now, but I wondered whether any of you have any photos of the lorries (or vans) used by the Company which I could see. My Dad drove a 3 ton Austin loadstar and I recall the colour was maroon with a distinctive "spring" logo. Sometimes he drove an Austin A40 van.

When I was small I used to go with him delivering springs to Austin, Rover and Jaguar when the British motor industry was booming.

Those were the days !