Tempered springs ltd warren ST

Hi Brian (Hampson).

I hoped that you would pick the pics up having had discussions in the past.

I like to look back on my days at Firth Browns and know what the old pics mean to me.

Here's a sample page of the Firth Browns thread should you care to have a look. I've posted many pics over the years........

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321&highlight=anyone+worked+at+firth+browns&page=33

Regards, Peter.

thank you peter for the photos they were great I remember that yard so well I worked in the 22 dept there on maintenance I was a fitter there I left in 1974 to come to Canada it is a shame what happened to the company anyway thank you again Brian

What 'happened' to the company ? Never worked there but am interested.

Anyone remember John Sorsby, trade union fanatic.

What 'happened' to the company ? Never worked there but am interested.

Bought out by a foreign company called Meritor ( I think) Run down and didn't last long after that

Hi did it close in the 1980s I have never heard of that company before I was told it went down like a lot of companys did due to recession I would like to know I was back in 2010 and saw lot places that had gone Brian

Hi did it close in the 1980s I have never heard of that company before I was told it went down like a lot of companys did due to recession I would like to know I was back in 2010 and saw lot places that had gone Brian

Late 90s or early 2000s

Hi Hackey lad thank you for information did you work there if you did when Brian

Anyone remember John Sorsby, trade union fanatic.

just seen this thread,i am ken gray me and mick shep.both played in the same football team.we had a very good team.

Noticed (very late in the day, or years ) your various messages concerning Tempered Spring Co. and all the various replies you obtained .

My name is Brian Powney starting at TSCo in 1953 and retiring at 57 in 1990. Hence I knew every one of the people that have been mentioned in replies to you. I became manager of 25 dept in 1956 and subsequently 22 dept., Tempered Rubber Components, then to Henry Rossell having previously closed down Stalker Drill Co which we had bought , and merged the remnants into Rossells, this after your time there. I subsequently became commercial manager of TSCo for ten years followed by a period as Personnel Director for Tempered Group which had been sold to a group called Associated Engineering. In 1982 I took over management of Tempered Tools , a company making circular knives of all types but made for slitting steel mainly along with rolls for lighter rolling mills.

I do remember you working in 22 and all the various people of the engineering area you were in . You were succeeded by Arnold Worrall.

As you can imagine I was in positions which enabled me to know virtually everyone in the company . To add a few from staff and management , Fred Fields , Graham Murray (died recently at 98 ), Gerard Young (died at 93 ) , and Tom Anderson ( chief inspector, died at 98 and emigrated in his retirement to Canada. )

If you require further info I may be able to help. I am 85 but still going strong despite or perhaps because of ,heart surgery.

On 19/02/2019 at 17:56, Brian Powney said:

Noticed (very late in the day, or years ) your various messages concerning Tempered Spring Co. and all the various replies you obtained .

My name is Brian Powney starting at TSCo in 1953 and retiring at 57 in 1990. Hence I knew every one of the people that have been mentioned in replies to you. I became manager of 25 dept in 1956 and subsequently 22 dept., Tempered Rubber Components, then to Henry Rossell having previously closed down Stalker Drill Co which we had bought , and merged the remnants into Rossells, this after your time there. I subsequently became commercial manager of TSCo for ten years followed by a period as Personnel Director for Tempered Group which had been sold to a group called Associated Engineering. In 1982 I took over management of Tempered Tools , a company making circular knives of all types but made for slitting steel mainly along with rolls for lighter rolling mills.

I do remember you working in 22 and all the various people of the engineering area you were in . You were succeeded by Arnold Worrall.

As you can imagine I was in positions which enabled me to know virtually everyone in the company . To add a few from staff and management , Fred Fields , Graham Murray (died recently at 98 ), Gerard Young (died at 93 ) , and Tom Anderson ( chief inspector, died at 98 and emigrated in his retirement to Canada. )

If you require further info I may be able to help. I am 85 but still going strong despite or perhaps because of ,heart surgery.

Hello Brian Powney. My father Harry Gill was a driver for Tempered Spring Co. Around the mid-fifties and I note that you started there in 1953. I wonder if you remember him or another driver call big Sam? I have very happy memories of travelling with my father when I was a boy to a few of the main car makers of the time such as Austin, jaguar and others which used the springs for their cars.

Also do you have (or anyone) any photographs of the vans or lorries used by TSCo Ltd in the 1950’s as Dad never took any as this would satisfy my nostalgia.

Came upon the website by accident..what a company, started as an office boy in 1950 and went on to manage 20,21,25 depts and finished at Park Springs in '70 now a carrot cruncher in Devon!  Names came flooding back to me, mostly from Warren St  CGM  Fred Fields Hughy Green Fred Mills ,Bob Snazell  Brian Powney Fred Gill John Shaw and the timers at Burton Weir Offices.  Great times!

Hello from Bulgaria BG

Does anyone recall GR Transport?

Gordan and Trevor Smith from Tottenham, N.London would regularly load or should I say grossly overload their wagons at Tempered Springs to deliver to all over!

Terry Morland was a driver for GR.

Had a Guy Invincible 8-legger also a Dodge 4-wheeler.

I was always out on the wagons with my father Trevor in the school holidays back in the late fifties and sixties.

I'll try to recall the name of the fella that was in Dispatch.

Stay well

Kindest, Ian