History of cutlers arms?

Hi all iv recently taken over the cutlers arms pub on gleadless I wanted to find out the history of the place e.g why was it called cutlers? How long has it been a pub? What is the meaning of cutlers? Any information you have will be appreciated thanks.

No offence mate but stop taking the ****.

No offence mate but stop taking the ****.

What do you mean pal what makes you say that :confused:

ThAnk you Andy this just what I needed but it doesn't mention anything about the pub it's self was it built by the cutler company or was it just named after it? History's a funny issue the more you dig the more questions you ask but I'm very gratful that you took some time out to find me these links

Certainly didnt look like that when I went past it yesterday...must be an old photo.

It is an old photo will look much better in a few more weeks lol

Has the pub always been ran by a family?

Was the sen family the first people to open cutlers arms? Do you know

As far as i remember back jo sen was the best landlord the cutlers ever had , everyside was packed back in the late 70s early 80s as i remember , lol i used to meet my mum and dad at last orders to walk the dog but jo sen was strict as hell and made me wait outside in all weathers and wouldnt even let me stand in the small entrance , he was like a pitbull ha ha , I remember going round the back of the cutlers to the offlicence bit where i used to get a bottle of bass shandy and a box of poppets :hihi: . I started drinkin in there in the late 80s when i was 18 and had many good weeknds in there with all the lads and locals till late 90s , it was a massive shame to see the pub go from packed every week to a handfull of people in . I really do hope the new buisness adventure does well and keeping the name intouch maybe a good idea also keeping a litte bar area could be a good idea aswell for locals ect lol no dowt customers at the bar will have a meal every night they are in after smelling the spices all night :hihi:. I will have a word with my dad to see who was the landlord before jo sen and family as we lived on bowman drive from the 70s .

Edited by RELIABLE

My family moved on to Raeburn Road in I think 1959/1960. The Cutlers became my dads local while my Grandad went to the Heeley & Sheffield. I think Joe Sen was the landlord at the time and continued at least till the early 80's. His 2 sons were Ian & Andrew who was a very good footballer and played for the Cutlers.

Yep and his daughter was called dianne , she used to go out with my brother for a while and i think she married a local lad called moffet or something who was always in the cutlers blindo lol :hihi:

I first went in that place when I was 17 never thought I'd be running the place one day that odd bit in the back is going to be party room for VIPs you will have to come and have alook when it's done it will look fab iv designed it myself :D il look after that pub it's a place I plan to grow old and gray in it's a dream come true for me I'm well excited I'm never going to let it close again and the name will stay from what boss has been saying you fancy doing the website =D

Will probably come and have a look when it's open. Ian Sen is my Godfather by the way for anyone that's interested.

My family moved on to Raeburn Road in I think 1959/1960. The Cutlers became my dads local while my Grandad went to the Heeley & Sheffield. I think Joe Sen was the landlord at the time and continued at least till the early 80's. His 2 sons were Ian & Andrew who was a very good footballer and played for the Cutlers.

Joe was an old school landlord, can never remember seeing him in anything but a smart suit, shirt and tie. Can never remember him smiling either!

Late 70's there was a bar maid called Doris (I think) used to pull a great pint (Whitbreads had just re-introduced a hand pulled beer called "Queen's Ale").

The new restaurant should have a picture of a Panda on the wall, local lads from that era will know why.

Hi a.s.ullah...

My advice would be to change the name entirely. The Cutlers carries a reputation for being a tough boozer in a tough place. People from outside Gleadless wont go there. Go and have a word with the Licensing Officer at Snig Hill for a run down on the issues when this was a pub.

It was on my area three times over the years as a managed house. Joe Senn ran it as a tenant with a firm hand prior to that.

Good luck with it...but there has to be a better site in a better area to start a business.

Hi a.s.ullah...

My advice would be to change the name entirely. The Cutlers carries a reputation for being a tough boozer in a tough place. People from outside Gleadless wont go there. Go and have a word with the Licensing Officer at Snig Hill for a run down on the issues when this was a pub.

It was on my area three times over the years as a managed house. Joe Senn ran it as a tenant with a firm hand prior to that.

Good luck with it...but there has to be a better site in a better area to start a business.

Thanks il try look it to that may get a list of who not to let it :) so far so good can't complain with the business I knew it was a ruff pub befor I took it over the location didn't really matter to me as if your good at what you do should be able to do business any where? Look at chains like akbars at medowbank road it's near a sewage treatment centre still busy! I was gob smacked the other day this bloke walks in and says to me sorry I'm not dressed properly (as in smartly) would you still serve me? I didn't expect that from the customers I'm getting :) as for the name cutlers has been hear befor I was even born and I was after a unique name and so much history it would not only be a shame but disrespectful to lose that name thanks for your comment :)