How to evict a tenant

have you actually considered they are being messed about by the local authority? it does happen, quite often actually and it can take a long time to get sorted depending on what the problem is. I know I spend my day sorting these kinds of things out. If they are having bother tell them to get advice and/or help from a reliable source such as CAB or community legal advice.......

Edited by partypixie
missing word

pixie i dont think they are as they wouldn't get bitchy everytime i ask for my rent...

Any more posts using textspeak will be removed. Please try and remember the rules about posting. Thanks.

pay a couple rougth necks to walk in and chuckem out or turn of the water cut the tv airiels turn of the water and cut the gas lol i would if it was my property ?????????

If you did that Doom the landlord would end up in court, sued or even worse. The system is unfair and is long winded. Next time, just vet your tenants better. I know it's easier said than done and brush up on housing law. Good luck shabby.

YES YOUR RIGHTthat is the way it may go { Doom the landlord would end up in court, sued or even worse. The system is unfair} and the system isnt unfair its bloody down right crap and always seems on the side of the wrong and untrustworthy ...

but to make liveing not very nice and cosey could help force them out .......? oh no some kids came and cut your phone line-internet facebook gone and tv coax so you carnt watch jermy kyle wow that sux also some little huddies turned of your water and gas wow that realy sux ... omg some local huddies let down your car tyres and put sugar in your fuel tank .. maybe you should move out sounds like some one round there dosnt like you he he Im so evil

The other problem with DSS is, as an example, your tenants have to pay, £500 every month

The council pay them £230 per fortnight into their account (this does happen in most cases)

They have to put the other £40 to the rent themselves.

They pay the rent one month, and then a fortnight later, they have £230 sitting in their account, which they are meant to save for another 2 weeks. Some people may well be able to do this, but others may HAVE to use this money (or part of it) for something else. Once they have chipped into it, they may feel that they can afford to take another £30 to put on gas and electric, and pay it back. However, when rent day arrives, they just don't have the full amount left.

You may want to have a serious talk with the tenant about their situation, and tell them you want them to try and get the rent paid directly to you, as if they continue to get into arrears, you will have to start eviction processes.

Telling them straight like that may well work. If they can't get it paid directly to you, they might at least buck their ideas up. If they feel you are soft, and you ask for rent, but don't give them any consequences for being late, they might continue to take the mick.

leah, the council are saying i cant have the rent paid directly to myself untill 2 months of arrears which is a joke!!!

I am going to have to evict them as they are taking the P!!!

I filled a benefits form in once, it asked me if I had a history of:

Debt, drug addiction, alcohol addiction, rent arrears, problems with managing money etc,

and if I ticked yes to any of them, the rent would be paid to the landlord.

If your tenant, upon a talk with you, says that actually they do have problems with money management, then the council may let you get the money directly. You and your tenant will need to work together to try and achieve this though.

Posts #19 and #21 are correct. The fact that T is on benefits is irrelevant.

L can use the various procedures set-out in the Housing Act 1988 [s.8 or s.21].

For more about them (and lettings generally), see the RESIDENTIAL LETTINGS sector of http://www.landlordzone.co.uk (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?3-Residential-Letting-Questions)

I've got a similar situation, tennat not paying, dss, coming up with all kinds of excuses yet i've not had a penny all month and so far i'm over 8 weeks out of pocket.

I've served both Section 8 and Section 21, the Section 21 would mean they have to be gone by August 18th, but I don't really want them living free and me paying for two houses any longer so have served Section 8 (grounds 8, 10, 11), when the Section 8 expires does anyone know what my next stage is? I know you are supposed to try to submit some details to the courts? but to what address, what information etc?? i've not had any responses to my recent texts even though she has definately received both notices.

I've got a similar situation, tennat not paying, dss, coming up with all kinds of excuses yet i've not had a penny all month and so far i'm over 8 weeks out of pocket.

I've served both Section 8 and Section 21, the Section 21 would mean they have to be gone by August 18th, but I don't really want them living free and me paying for two houses any longer so have served Section 8 (grounds 8, 10, 11), when the Section 8 expires does anyone know what my next stage is? I know you are supposed to try to submit some details to the courts? but to what address, what information etc?? i've not had any responses to my recent texts even though she has definately received both notices.

This form is used for ground 8, 10 and 11

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/N119_web_0410.pdf

This form is used for the section 21

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n5b_web_0410.pdf

You file at county court depending on the location. You should know all of this before you take a tenant and a judge will not be a happy bunny if you dont know what youre doing and you present as an irresponsible DIY landlord. Of course i dont know the whole of your circumstances, or seen your tenancy agreement or notices but if this is the depth of your knowledge I think you will be in trouble without a solicitor advocate and think you should prepare for a counter claim if you havent let this property correctly.

Edited by kaymarie