How to evict a tenant

need advice on how to evict a tenant, they have been living there for 3 months now and never pay the rent on time, its always 2-3 weeks late???

They get dss and always make excuses; they have not recieved the cheque yet etc...

Isn't DSS always paid on time, so they can cash it in and pay the landlord as i thought this was the standard procedure??

any help appreciated.

thanks

Edited by shabba

you could get the housing benefit paid directly to you...

yes going to look into that, but they told me the housing dont pay the money directly??

which i think is bull!! which form do i need to do this and whats the procedure?

thanks

yes going to look into that, but they told me the housing dont pay the money directly??

which i think is bull!! which form do i need to do this and whats the procedure?

thanks

actually it isnt bull, dss wont pay direct to the landlord unless the tenant has12 weeks arrears of rent.... i know because i tried to set it up once before xx

There is also a form the tenant can sign which gives the landlord the authority to speak to the council about the housing benefit, and to get it paid directly..

Just tell them you are selling the house - and you are serving them 1 months notice, Im presuming you have got a bond from them?

cheers ghostrider, i think its only fair as if the tenant gets the dss he/she can do what they want with it, which clearly my tenants are doing and its a joke!!!

So will hopefully get this form and sort it out.

Just tell them you are selling the house - and you are serving them 1 months notice,

maybe not.. as you'll get done for illegal eviction...

maybe not.. as you'll get done for illegal eviction...

ok- be honest then - they have broken their tenency agreement by not paying rent on time - evict them that way

ok- be honest then - they have broken their tenency agreement by not paying rent on time - evict them that way

You've got to follow the correct procedures - or you can get prosecuted for illegal eviction (which is a criminal offence)

thanks

the benefit rules were changed a short while ago so rent was paid to the claimant again and not the landlord, as was the case years ago. the problem is it takes so long sort out a claim, that the claimant suddenly gets a big cheque for several weeks rent, which he is supposed to cash and pay to the landlord. often the temptation is too much and the claimant moves on, taking the rent money with them.

hence the reason that "to let" ads feature the words "no dss" which i find just as offensive as in the old days when places had signs outside saying "no blacks, no irish, no pikeys." however, "no dss" seems to be acceptable to the powers that be, as no-one on benefits can afford to sue landlords who use this phrase and advertisers who print it.

moving forward.... speak to your tenant and get him to pay an agreed amount off his arrears each fortnight without excuse, tell him that you value him as a tenant but cannot allow the situation to continue when there are many people waiting for a home. hopefully he will see sense and realise the hassle he will have moving out.

communication is the key.

let us know how you get on.

good luck.

Getting people out can be a massive pain in the arse, mainly to stop bad landlords screwing poeple over but it also works the other way. I would get proper advise before even mentioning it.