One for the Blades fan's (Tony Currie)

Like I say Dooley was before my time but records show he scored 1/2 his goals in the old 2nd division where as Layne scored all his in the 1st.

Yer right about current players though overpaid ponses who the press bum up to high hell,they wouldn't have lasted 10mins against the likes of Harris,Mackay and even Swanny.

But you also have to look at the ball used for both players

I once made the mistake while I was at school (early 60's) heading an old case ball that we used to play with and ended up on my rear with a bruise the shape of the laces on my head lol never again but they used to play with them every week

Like I say Dooley was before my time but records show he scored 1/2 his goals in the old 2nd division where as Layne scored all his in the 1st.

Yer right about current players though overpaid ponses who the press bum up to high hell,they wouldn't have lasted 10mins against the likes of Harris,Mackay and even Swanny.

Yes you are right and remember that players at both Sheffield clubs were not freetened or big headed enough not to go out with there mates on a Saturday night i personally have been down town with Eustace, Woodward,and also seen Terry Curran stood at the bar many times .You will not get that now[Chrisie Waddell apart] as they all think they are film stars or summutt.

I also remember when Jack Charlton was the owls manager [the best ever] he would amaze some of the lads by being in the pub after a game before them happy days.

Im sure i know thee but im only 77 plus or minus 8

0nly 60 next and didn't actually see Dooley play live but did see doc Pace play for us another striker in the same mould 150(ish) goals in 250(ish) games

But you also have to look at the ball used for both players

I once made the mistake while I was at school (early 60's) heading an old case ball that we used to play with and ended up on my rear with a bruise the shape of the laces on my head lol never again but they used to play with them every week

Remember paying footie in Longley Park mid sixties and hitting one of the lads smack in the kite with a leather ball,knocked him clean out.

0nly 60 next and didn't actually see Dooley play live but did see doc Pace play for us another striker in the same mould 150(ish) goals in 250(ish) games

Yes, that's what i mean by the best players . its OK show boating and blowing kisses but the man who puts the ball in the net at a regular interval is the best asset any team can have. so as far as i am concerned in Sheffield that was Dooley.

In four years he scored 55 goals in 38 appearances in Wednesday's third team (playing in the Yorkshire League) side and 37 goals in 49 for their reserve side, who played in the Central League. This included 8 goals in a single match. He was given his first chance at first team football in March 1950 against Preston North End. It was the first of two games in the 1949-50 season but he failed impress in either.

A poor 1950-51 season led to the Owls were relegated to Division 2 on goal difference. Wednesday's poor form continued the following season winning just three of the first nine matches. Dooley earned a recall for the next match against Barnsley. He took full advantage of the chance scoring two goals to help Wednesday to a 2—1 victory. This was followed by three matches where he only added a solitary goal but at the beginning of November he found a goal scoring touch that would make him Sheffield Wednesday most prolific scorer of all time.

His goal scoring run started with him scoring 22 goals in 9 matches. He went on to score a total of 46 goals in his first season surpassing the 25 year old record of 37 goals that was held by Jimmy Trotter. The tally remains a club record to the present day. The season finished with the Owls being promoted back to Division 1 as champions.

After a slow start to the 1952-53 season Dooley eventually achieved a respectable 16 goals in 24 games but his career was abruptly ended on 14 February 1953, when he collided with the Preston goalkeeper George Thompson at Deepdale and broke his leg. An x-ray revealed that he sustained a double fracture. As he was preparing to leave hospital the following Monday a nurse noticed that there was no reaction in his toes when touched. When the pot was removed it was found that a small scratch on the back of his leg had become infected. Gangrene had set in and it was decided to amputate his leg. It was rumoured at the time that a chemical from the white touchline marking had got into his injury.

Taken from Wikipedia

Oh for a striker like that now for either side

In four years he scored 55 goals in 38 appearances in Wednesday's third team (playing in the Yorkshire League) side and 37 goals in 49 for their reserve side, who played in the Central League. This included 8 goals in a single match. He was given his first chance at first team football in March 1950 against Preston North End. It was the first of two games in the 1949-50 season but he failed impress in either.

A poor 1950-51 season led to the Owls were relegated to Division 2 on goal difference. Wednesday's poor form continued the following season winning just three of the first nine matches. Dooley earned a recall for the next match against Barnsley. He took full advantage of the chance scoring two goals to help Wednesday to a 2—1 victory. This was followed by three matches where he only added a solitary goal but at the beginning of November he found a goal scoring touch that would make him Sheffield Wednesday most prolific scorer of all time.

His goal scoring run started with him scoring 22 goals in 9 matches. He went on to score a total of 46 goals in his first season surpassing the 25 year old record of 37 goals that was held by Jimmy Trotter. The tally remains a club record to the present day. The season finished with the Owls being promoted back to Division 1 as champions.

After a slow start to the 1952-53 season Dooley eventually achieved a respectable 16 goals in 24 games but his career was abruptly ended on 14 February 1953, when he collided with the Preston goalkeeper George Thompson at Deepdale and broke his leg. An x-ray revealed that he sustained a double fracture. As he was preparing to leave hospital the following Monday a nurse noticed that there was no reaction in his toes when touched. When the pot was removed it was found that a small scratch on the back of his leg had become infected. Gangrene had set in and it was decided to amputate his leg. It was rumoured at the time that a chemical from the white touchline marking had got into his injury.

Taken from Wikipedia

I could roor!

Taken from Wikipedia

YES A FINE RECORD, and an Owl at the time, look how he was later treated by the club ! sacked on XMAS EVE !!

He then saw the light boycotted S6 for years and years, became a Blade and a respected bloke, of fans from both sides of the city devide.

United have a statue in his memory in the lane car park, its about time the Owls named a stand after him:)

Edited by TAT

YES A FINE RECORD, and an Owl at the time, look how he was later treated by the club ! sacked on XMAS EVE !!

He then saw the light boycotted S6 for years and years, became a Blade and a respected bloke, of fans from both sides of the city devide.

United have a statue in his memory in the lane car park, its about time the Owls named a stand after him:)

I thought to myself how long before some poor bugger comes up with the Christmas story .

Makes me wonder how Warnock felt after the same kind of treatmant.

Mrs that is and her five year old kid!

Wednesday looked after DD after he lost his leg and then made two stupid decisions,1/make him manager and 2/sacking him on that day,those guys have now long gone and am sure if they could turn the clock back would never have happened on both fronts.

We didn't play wednesday in TC's testimonial we played Dennis Watermans all stars after a Housemartins gig on the pitch.

also it was a Sunday afternoon not a night game.

"bladebloke" says so so it must be reight.

We didn't play wednesday in TC's testimonial we played Dennis Watermans all stars after a Housemartins gig on the pitch.

also it was a Sunday afternoon not a night game.

"bladebloke" says so so it must be reight.

Spot on Paul, it was played on Sunday 5th October 1986.