Are the safer neighbourhood teams any good?

What is peoples experience of these teams?

Are there any good results in your area?

I would be interested to know because our area is becoming/has become a huge problem and nothing seems to be making any difference - in fact it is much worse :(

My partner has just walked through the footpath by Frecheville pond and there are over a hundred youths gathered around there throwing things in the pond, making a huge racket and committing acts of vandalism.

There is now a huge gaping hole in the footpath where a hole has been dug for the new gas main, it was fenced off but now all the fencing is in the pond :(

The dog mess bin at the top of the hill has been kicked down and is now laying flat on the floor, the kiddies park and football/tennis courts are full of screaming youths and thegangs were shouting across the pond to each other saying they are going to the co-op for some more beer :( There is even one group with a tent who look like they will be sleeping there tonight.

This area is becoming a no go area now and it is a horrible place some nights. The only time when we had a decent year was when there was a curfew and then families used the place as it was intended. It was lovely to see the littlies enjoying the kiddies park and the older ones sat fishing with their dad etc. Family groups strolling around together just watching the ducks in the pond was a pleasure to see.

The police arrived as my partner passed by and all they did was walk down to the nearest bench, speak to the group there and then walk back up the hill to their car and drove away.

I really feel for the people that live closest to the park as their lives must be a living hell. I don`t walk through the park after dark anymore due to incidents last year - its very frightening there now.

It would be good if there was another curfew this year but i don`t know how they decide these things, fingers crossed i suppose.:mad:

Has anyone else noticed that things are worse or is it just this area that is a problem that doesn`t seem able to be fixed?

N

Many years back, i'd night fish Frechville pond, not a chance i'd even fish there in the day now.

Ring 101 and report your concerns? Our neighbourhood team are brilliant! X

I have nothing but praise for the Safer Neighbourhood Team at Stannington. We have seen a dramatic fall in anti social behaviour over the last 4 years.

The trouble, of course with any initiative is that it requires a certain amount of resident cooperation in order to work. Too many people are quick to blame others without accepting responsibility for their own.

The sad thing is that although most complaints are about youths, the actual problems lie with parents and carers who think that by admitting the failings of their offspring, they will appear weak amongst their testosterone fuelled peers.

Have you been in touch with the SNT. It doesn't hurt to talk to them.

http://neighbourhood.southyorkshire.police.uk/priorities/mosborough/birleymoorrdheathfieldrdsmalldalerdthornbridgedrhopedalerdchurdalerd5pmx3amalc

I don't know Frecheville well, but the SNT seem to know that the area is causing residents problems. They look to have a monthly meeting, so it may be worthwhile speaking to them at that meeting if you haven't already had contact with any of their officers.

the only way these neighberhoods watch teams would all work well is if they took names and kicked some arse

as we all know this wont happen.

What is peoples experience of these teams?

Are there any good results in your area?

I would be interested to know because our area is becoming/has become a huge problem and nothing seems to be making any difference - in fact it is much worse :(

My partner has just walked through the footpath by Frecheville pond and there are over a hundred youths gathered around there throwing things in the pond, making a huge racket and committing acts of vandalism.

There is now a huge gaping hole in the footpath where a hole has been dug for the new gas main, it was fenced off but now all the fencing is in the pond :(

The dog mess bin at the top of the hill has been kicked down and is now laying flat on the floor, the kiddies park and football/tennis courts are full of screaming youths and thegangs were shouting across the pond to each other saying they are going to the co-op for some more beer :( There is even one group with a tent who look like they will be sleeping there tonight.

This area is becoming a no go area now and it is a horrible place some nights. The only time when we had a decent year was when there was a curfew and then families used the place as it was intended. It was lovely to see the littlies enjoying the kiddies park and the older ones sat fishing with their dad etc. Family groups strolling around together just watching the ducks in the pond was a pleasure to see.

The police arrived as my partner passed by and all they did was walk down to the nearest bench, speak to the group there and then walk back up the hill to their car and drove away.

I really feel for the people that live closest to the park as their lives must be a living hell. I don`t walk through the park after dark anymore due to incidents last year - its very frightening there now.

It would be good if there was another curfew this year but i don`t know how they decide these things, fingers crossed i suppose.:mad:

Has anyone else noticed that things are worse or is it just this area that is a problem that doesn`t seem able to be fixed?

N

That many? Really?

woodhouse and mosbrough SNT have been great with offroad bikes in woods near us. very proactive.

I think they do a good job when they are there but you don't see many of them at weekends when most of the trouble is. So I wonder if most of them only work Monday to Friday?

I think they do a good job when they are there but you don't see many of them at weekends when most of the trouble is. So I wonder if most of them only work Monday to Friday?

I think that you have hit the nail on the head there!

I walked to the paper shop today and went via the pond to see the results of last nights gatherings, i was pleasantly surprised in that there were a group of local people who had put the barriers back around the hole, replanted the stake for the dog mess bin and put it back up and they had lots of carrier bags and bin liners and were picking up all the bottles/broken glass and litter. They had two bin bags full of crushed cans and were taking the bottles to the bottle bank. It was lovely to see this happening and apparently it is a regular thing now.

I spoke to quite a few people and it does seem that the weekends, Fri/Sat/Sun are terrible but the area is only visited in the week by the police etc when its much quieter.

There are meetings held every so often but a lot of people have lost faith as things have got worse and a lot of the people who used to attend have trouble getting time off work too.

The general feeling is that the area should be targeted at weekends and a curfew would be most welcome but its very obvious that the locals think that the police are well beaten in this area.

Just thought i would post a little update - oh and partner has just arrived home, so far there are only about 20 youths on there atm.

N

Phone 101 to report any incident. Ask for the reference number for your record. Urge everyone who complains to do the same. This illustrates to councillors, police the extentof and the problem. I have found the 101 to be excellent in recording incidents which they forward to the relevent authority. They've also saved my sanity when reporting harassment and criminal damage by a certain group of children. I knew that the kids would have disappeared long before police arrived but reporting it helped short and long term. The onus is on us. If we don't report incidents how can we expect change?

I think that the people who are affected are ringing up about it but i`m not sure about reference numbers, they did say that police visit sometimes but just leave them be as there are only usually 2 police and lots of youths. Apparently the police have been thrown in the pond before now.

I`ll be out on my day off later this week and will go by there to see if there is anyone out to speak to and mention the reference numbers.

Thanks

N