20 year old given an OAP flat??

theres no way it can be legit because shes 20 and the wait list is over 11 years.

Speak to the council housing section and make a complaint. I would!

Older and young people should live in close proximity, and only be segregated if care needs or bad habits make it a problem.

The older people can help the young person out on the furniture and cash front, whilst the younger person can help the elderly person by doing odd jobs etc.

Or nicking from them!

Just found out that the council have allocated a flat to a 20 year old , the flats in question are for OAP, plus in this area the waiting list for any property is over 11 years, have the council any sence at all, weve recently also had 3 smackheads allocated flats, the area is Deepcar, anyone any answers???

There's no laid down waiting time for properties, it all depends on who bids for them. Some one bedroomed flats in Deepcar have gone to people with less than 5 years waiting time, and some have gone to people with priority. If they have priority, they might only have been waiting a few months. Sorry for posting boring facts. It can all be checked out by looking on this website: http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/filterpage.asp?pagefrom=recentlets&ID=F0A2135A83CE42C78E7502C8608E1826

Sometimes when age banded flats remain empty (no elderly people want them) then they may be 'redesignated' and the age banding goes down, usually to 50 or 40. Occasionally they may have age banding removed, but unless you actually ask Sheffield Homes about the specific block of flats, its impossible to know.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

why should an elderly person whos worked all thier life help out a scrounger with cash or furniture???????????????????

We helped our children out when they moved into their first home, many young people don't leave the family home by choice, or they may have come out of care. Most youngsters aren't scroungers, but most could with a bit of help and support when they move into their first home, especially if they don't get it from their families.

And, as chem1st says, people of different ages should be able to live together perfectly well. Its not the age thats the problem its the behaviour - and its not only youngsters who can be bad neighbours.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

why should an elderly person whos worked all thier life help out a scrounger with cash or furniture???????????????????

They will have hoarded possessions over time and probably have a bit of clutter to get rid off, white goods and furniture for example, as they buy new.

A person starting out will have nothing and is glad of 2nd hand items.

A hell of a lot of neighbours help each other out like this, the younger person in turn does odd jobs for the elderly neighbour and they get along with each other, they have even been known to stop in the street and chat.

As you age, you give away stuff to the younger neighbours and they do odd jobs for you.

I used to live on farview rd off elm lane years ago. I drove round to take a look at the area now and the oval of what used to be old peoples homes across from longley park was now full of riff raff. It was nice and quiet for the old,uns there.

I remember years ago a judge lamblasted SCC for putting teenagers and young people

in old peoples blocks, and they promised not to do it again. Seems they never learn

or most likely don't care.

I remember years ago a judge lamblasted SCC for putting teenagers and young people

in old peoples blocks, and they promised not to do it again. Seems they never learn

or most likely don't care.

Scenario: Landlord has a block of flats which were intended for the elderly. Many elderly people used to live in these flats, because it made a difference financially - when they had to pay their own rent. Over the years, changes in the way benefits are paid, means that pensioners who get housing benefit don't have to worry about downsizing as h/b will pay for any size of council house, even if they live alone. Of course its a different scenario for the elderly with other bits of pension, many have to downsize if they can't afford a private rental, or mortgage in retirement.

Question - a social landlord can't attract the elderly to live in flats built for the elderly. Does the landlord:

a) let more and more stand empty because no one over 60 wants one, which means no rent is being paid for them, or

b) drop the age banding to 40, then find out that they don't want to move from their 3 bedroomed houses, or finally,

c) open them up to young people who are desperate for cheap accommodation?

All the people who think the young and the elderly shouldn't live together must have a solution to the above?

Edited by Ms Macbeth
sp

Just found out that the council have allocated a flat to a 20 year old , the flats in question are for OAP, plus in this area the waiting list for any property is over 11 years, have the council any sence at all, weve recently also had 3 smackheads allocated flats, the area is Deepcar, anyone any answers???

Thats the standard waiting list. People get granted priority for many different reasons, I got a flat when I was 15 from the council because I was on priority because I lost both my parents when I was younger. How foolish to assume this person has not gone legitimately because they're young, and how narrow minded of you to assume they'll be a trouble maker just because of their young age.

Maybe if you went and spoke to this twenty year old and asked if you could help them settle in and made them feel welcome, rather than standing behind your net curtains and judging them based on absolutely nothing then if any problems did arise you could go over and chat with them over it?

I love my elderly neighbours. They are in all the time so they look out for strangers during the day and I look out for them and say hi. We get on really well. Don't assume that young and old can't live together, I do and I love it. (apart from the loud tv from next door lol)

problem is some elderly cannot get up the stairs that is why the council give to the younger ones who can and in some cases they will be helpful