Need some advise and not judgment :(

I tell my daughter I can see Peppa Pig and George Pig and Dora the explorer in her mouth :). She opens her mouth and she now says ''mummy we brush teeth because it's 'portant' and we have pearly white teeth'' :D.

I've been fairly strict about giving juice & sugary snacks. I dont view it as denying my kids treats, I view it as not giving my children something that's bad for them. You wouldn't give them alcohol, so why do you have a difficulty denying them sweets etc. My one year olds only have water to drink, never have sweets & rarely have sugary food, my son aged 4 has sweet things maybe once a week or less. Despite this, he still has tooth decay and the dentist says this is because of the fruit he eats - we do eat loads, thinking it was a good thing. On balance we've continued to give him fruit & just tried to pay more attention to his teeth cleaning. As a PP said, at least these are only milk teeth. Try & keep up your changes so they're well established before her adult teeth arrive.

Have you tried bargaining with her that if she lets you brush her teeth then she can brush yours? Our 2-year-old doesn't like having his teeth brushed. I tell him that if he lets me brush his teeth then I will let him brush mine with my toothbrush. It works most of the time, even though he ends up brushing the inside of my cheeks instead of my teeth and it hurts! It has the added benefits that he thinks he is being kind to me and also sends him into fits of giggles when I say "Ouch"!

Thank you all for the advise, shes started letting me do it when i sing In the Night Garden to her and making funny noises while brushing her teeth. She's hardly had any sweets and juice, i actually put my foot down with my dad and the sweets the other day telling him he could give her one fudge and then i gave her a bottle of water so she could rinse her mouth out after.

So far so good, looks like we will be moving in the next week so will be registering her asap.

Just got the small problem off while im trying to brush her teeth she sucks all the toothpaste off but its best way i can scrub em.

sorry if this sounds a little silly or if ive missed something. Anyway- your panicking because your daughter has some plaque on her baby teeth so have cut out sweets and juice??? I have 4 children, never cut out sweets and chocolate and juice i dont generally keep lots of sweets in the house for the purpose of not wanting them to eat it due to the amount of fats in it but i dont think you should panic, if you have got the cleaning teeth almost sorted dont deprive your child of having a child hood of sweets juice etc... things children would generally have beause you are scared of her teeth you sound like a brilliant parent and good at taking her to the dentist etc...

sorry if this sounds a little silly or if ive missed something. Anyway- your panicking because your daughter has some plaque on her baby teeth so have cut out sweets and juice??? I have 4 children, never cut out sweets and chocolate and juice i dont generally keep lots of sweets in the house for the purpose of not wanting them to eat it due to the amount of fats in it but i dont think you should panic, if you have got the cleaning teeth almost sorted dont deprive your child of having a child hood of sweets juice etc... things children would generally have beause you are scared of her teeth you sound like a brilliant parent and good at taking her to the dentist etc...

Have to disagree - sorry - not giving little ones sugar, sweets, juice , chocolate plus,for those that do , processed rubbish - is not depriving them it is giving them the best start in life that you can.

Agree cleaning teeth is ultra important but healthy eating seems to becoming a thing of the past which is sooooo wrong.

Its taking me alot to come on and ask for advice and i feel bad as it is but if i don't talk then i feel i'm gonna go crazy.

My daughter is two years old. She has always been really bad for juice, fruit shuits, mainly orange juice and i think im starting to see a problem with her teeth and didnt realise that even dilute juice can be a problem.

I was looking at my daughters teeth earlier and they seem to have plaque on the top which i am not at all happy about, i brush her teeth as regularly as possible but im finding it very difficult at the moment as she has six teeth coming through all at once, two at the front and four at the back.

These are causing her some pain so when i do go to brush her teeth, after a few seconds she clamps her mouth shut. I've tried letting her take over but this usually results in her chomping on the tooth brush and sucking the toothpaste off it.

I've tried making it a game, i've tried letting her see me brush my teeth, i've tried everything but she's making it really difficult.

Another thing is her grandad likes to bring chocolate round for her, i've let him but never given her the chocolate straight away, normally he gives her some when im not looking, i dont think hes meaning to cause harm but he just loves spoiling her.

We're in the process of moving house at the moment which is making it really difficult with the dentist, i don't know whether to register her here for a short time until we move or wait until we have moved.

I feel so bad, my partner and i have bad teeth (or no teeth in my husbands case), and ever since my daughter started getting them through i SWORE she would never have the same problem as us. I watched her sugary foods and tried to get her to let me brush her teeth but i feel like i have messed up big time and should have done more.

I have not put my foot down and thrown every bit of sugary sweets, juice, etc into a cupboard and firmly said that i will not allow her to have any sweets unless its a particularly good treat such as a birthday. I've gone and bought a load of apples, plums, grapes and raisons and milk and said they are what she has now along with water. I've stationed a tooth brush at every sink in the house so that whenever we are there we can show her what it is and let her play with them and experiment and we are going to continue brushing her teeth day and night.

Is there anything else i could do??? Has anyone else had a problem similar to this????

thanks

You are doing so well - as others have said beware of the natural sugar in fruit but keep up the great work!

I agree healthy eating is very important and i dont willy nilly give themsweets chocolate and juice they have healthy meals etc.. but i think in this day and age everyone is so obsessed about looks and weight it is just getting bad for children

Have to disagree - sorry - not giving little ones sugar, sweets, juice , chocolate plus,for those that do , processed rubbish - is not depriving them it is giving them the best start in life that you can.

Agree cleaning teeth is ultra important but healthy eating seems to becoming a thing of the past which is sooooo wrong.

Hi - littlewonder - I agree with where you are coming from. We are getting obsessed asa society. Back to old fashioned ways would suit! In the meantime banning kids padded bikinis would be a start perhaps!

I got my daughter a musical toothbrush off amazon, it pays music for the length of time she should brush for, we then did silly dancing in our pants while both brushing teeth. she was 2 when i started this as she used to just bite the toothbrush before when i brused them for her.

might sound daft but it worked because it became a game for her and she has lovely peggys now. Also if i couldnt get to brush them due to back teeth coming through i put some of her toothpaste on a flannel and let her suck and chew on it (only a tiny tiny bit i put on)

your doing a fantastic job

I have a silly one I picked up years ago and I used for a while when persuading my twins that they'd have their teeth brushed.

It's a song that goes:

............. (fill in childs name) has lovely teeth

Some above and some beneath

If ....... (fill in name) won't brush her teeth

......... (fill in name)'s smile wont look so sweet

Sung to the tune of wheels on the bus :)