Connection with recent Sheffield Star Headline & SF postings?

A typical example of how idle and unfounded gossip can cause moral panic.

Isn't it called "Star Baiting" - we create a thread based on something made up and see if The Star publishes a story based upon it!

The Star's copy and paste staff (you can't call them Journalists) just sit on forums all day and look for a story. They then pad it out by going out with a digital camera to take a picture of someone hard done by looking glum, that's if they can't steal the picture first (like they do from a number of other places).

Still, its always amusing to threaten to sue unless they pay the stock fee for stealing the photo, like my friends do.

Isn't it called "Star Baiting" - we create a thread based on something made up and see if The Star publishes a story based upon it!

I did suggest doing this, but you need around 50 or so forum users to keep up the pretense otherwise it wouldnt work.

Id like the Star to cover my story on the Gloatcoated ferrets that live in the gutters in town go around eating disgarded takeaways, harress members of the public on the moor, and make public transport late by sitting in the road, but they just wont cover it.

This brave member of public managed to get a rare snap of the beast.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-06-02-ghayeaye.jpg

The Star is so sad! Why don't they get reporters to write fact not fiction? Stealing our posts just an excuse for being lazy lol x

they actually do the same on owls online and owlstalk ,such is the disdain for the star

IMO they are doing their job, whats the big problem with them using online resources to get stories??

Is it really such a big deal that groups of people would go to such an effort to try and feed a local paper a false story?? If so, then i'm afraid they must lead very uneventful lives.

A typical example of how idle and unfounded gossip can cause moral panic.

How ? Where ? When ? Why ?

Have you got a link to the Star headline and the postings here ?

WHAT are you talking about ???

IMO they are doing their job, whats the big problem with them using online resources to get stories??

Because they don't do any research in the matter.

Take the "wrong trousers and banned from school photo" story and SF thread. This is a complete non story. The school clearly states the uniform code, so there's nothing at all newsworthy in it.

But that's not enough for the local rags, they like to blow it all up out of proportion.

They did the same with me earlier this week. I led a group of people on an inspection of a slate mine. Yet the rag said we "broke in" - now how do you break into an open cave entrance?

They also got soundbites from a former mine expert - however, he was a coal mine expert. Coal and slate mines are very different. he lied saying there were "miles of passages" when the mine - a former tourist attraction - doesn't even amount up to one mile if measured.

The paper also said we were taking risks from falling slate when they didn't even seek our side of the story, nor did they mention anything about the local bat preservation group who go down there regularly to inspect the bat colony. Now do they have some kind of special equipment that protects them from falling slate?

The only thing illegal was the way the paper stole one of my team's photos without permission, and now faces action for copyright theft.

Anyway, here's the article. Its amusing to be called a "thrillseeker" when it was a very boring inspection and documentation visit!

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/100338/thrillseekers-slammed-after-breaking-into-disused-llangollen-mine.aspx

Because they don't do any research in the matter.

Take the "wrong trousers and banned from school photo" story and SF thread. This is a complete non story. The school clearly states the uniform code, so there's nothing at all newsworthy in it.

But that's not enough for the local rags, they like to blow it all up out of proportion.

They did the same with me earlier this week. I led a group of people on an inspection of a slate mine. Yet the rag said we "broke in" - now how do you break into an open cave entrance?

They also got soundbites from a former mine expert - however, he was a coal mine expert. Coal and slate mines are very different. he lied saying there were "miles of passages" when the mine - a former tourist attraction - doesn't even amount up to one mile if measured.

The paper also said we were taking risks from falling slate when they didn't even seek our side of the story, nor did they mention anything about the local bat preservation group who go down there regularly to inspect the bat colony. Now do they have some kind of special equipment that protects them from falling slate?

The only thing illegal was the way the paper stole one of my team's photos without permission, and now faces action for copyright theft.

Anyway, here's the article. Its amusing to be called a "thrillseeker" when it was a very boring inspection and documentation visit!

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/100338/thrillseekers-slammed-after-breaking-into-disused-llangollen-mine.aspx

Yes I agree that their journalism is poor, but I dont see it a problem if they get their non-stories from here, if anything surley the people on here should be flattered??

Is it really such a big deal that groups of people would go to such an effort to try and feed a local paper a false story?? If so, then i'm afraid they must lead very uneventful lives.

Very true Bonjon. The SF posts are based on gossip and tittle tattle and are responsible to no one, whereas the Star has a legal responsibility to report the facts whether SF posters agree with it not. SF does not have the monopoly on news, its is after all public domain and can be sourced from any legal source the journalist chooses. You have to ask yourself, where do SF posters get their information from, usually from the news agencies on the web?