Read this before buying a new pc !!!

Originally posted by Cyclone

then why does this thread exist and why the apparently clueless image?

Spot on Cyclone. Two further questions come to mind:

1) Why didn't the O.P. build it themslves?

2) Why ask for XP Home when there are more benefits in having XP Pro?

they are part of ROM , power on self test ,basic I/O ,The Basic Input and Output System (BIOS) that is responsible for teaching the main processor how to deal with basic devices, such as floppy unit, hard disk or video in text mode; the Power On Self Test (POST) which is the program in charge of the self test that is executed every time PC is powered up (like memory counting, for instance); and the Setup which is the program that allows the alteration of the parameters stored in the configuration memory (CMOS)…

Coming at this with a clean head (I went to bed after you had posted it) most of that is filled with long-winded waffle – I only wanted you to differentiate them both – the BIOS is the software that allows you to select boot order, etc, etc (like you said), but where I disagree, is that the CMOS is the chip it is stored on – the BIOS battery is the CMOS - Copper Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

As for your laptop question - that's impossible, the UK AC supply operates at 50Hz, therefore the question is hypothetical; unless you’re asking ‘can I use the laptop on a 60Hz-based system? {110V}’

Well the voltage isn’t an issue, as on the side of the PSU in most instances, there will be a 110/240 slider – when you wish to use it in a country that uses a 60Hz-based system. Then a transformer will be needed to allow it to be plugged into the country’s socket – however the importance is the slider changed to 110V.

The Hz isn't an issue as the mains'll have a dual frequency...

I'm now going to leave this thread, as I'm getting peed off with it.

Mod: Play nicely please guys. You all have a right to an opinion, but not to insult each other.

Originally posted by kentboy119

CMOS - Copper Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

Actually, it's "Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor";), which is powered by a battery.

Originally posted by daz25

What probs have you had at meadowhall PC World?

I was planning on buying from there

Hey

We bought a laptop from them way back in March time, it went tits up within 3 months later and we took it back to the shop to be either fixed and replaced.

Its a long story to be honest- but the end outcome after being told a various pack of lies and after a lot of farting about- we ended up with a better laptop.

This was from the Meadowhall Retail PC World and me and the missus were not impressed at all.

Originally posted by trentboy2

Maybe i was a little insulting but that fella needs waking up, it's attitudes like his that are leading this country down a road I care not to follow, a road that lets companies like PCworld squeeze out any compo with marketing promises that they have no intention on living up to.

And is it really neccessary for me to be reported to the mods for thinking that someone is an idiot?

Here's an original idea: stick up for yourself and make a decent argument. Prove to everyone that your the bigger man by turning things around and making me look like the dumbass. Dont, what ever you do, give me more excuses for me to post bitter little rants like this one by running to the mods every time someone upsets your precious little world.

So am in trouble again now?:confused:

I agree with what you are saying on your reply- definitely agreed about PC World :thumbsup:

Regards to you being reported- I cant really comment on that :)

But you are right as well- when you say stick up for yourself and come out with a decent argument :thumbsup: I myself, dont feel the need to report anyone to the mods- but thats some peoples choices I guess.

I have never had any problems with disc direct. I go there pretty often. The only thing that i can say wrong with them are the prices.

Originally posted by sarcastic

omg you MEN are pathetic!

i like the way that as soon as you get backed into a corner you pull the "MEN ARE TEH USELESS LOLZ!!!!!!1111" card out of the bag.. now stop trying to figure out where the "Any" key is and go and iron my shirt..

for anyone wanting a local company who know their shiznit about computers, you could do worse than check out http://www.morecomputers.com (based on collegiate crescent, just off eccy road)..

Hi Sarcastic,

the problem with your old P.C. is that one of the C.P.U. fan mounting posts is broken off. The heat sink is not in contact with the C.P.U. which immediately overheats and turns itself off. Someone has tried to bodge it with a yellow ty rap, a big dollop of hot melt glue and loads of thermal paste on the C.P.U.

regards Mick.

Note to the OP:

Have you considered contacting the company you bought the P|C from, and telling them the following:

I've been in contact with Microsoft, concerning the legitimacy of my copy of XP pro, and they are very keen to learn who my supplier is.

I haven't told them of course, well, not yet.

What should I do? ...

Oh, and can I have full refund by the way?

Concerning PC world, I personally would avoid them, I consider them overpriced and don't think they have a bad reputation for no reason.

Good luck sorting out your computer woes!

Originally posted by sarcastic

Disks Direct...

Ive had nothing but trouble for 10 months and hes doing something illegal.

I got a new pc from him and ended up with rubbish graphics.

I took it back asked for a refund but he said as i asked for it to be specially built he cant!

I still have rubbish graphics but have been told by him that he uses the same xp install disc on several pc,s! and i have windows xp professional when i asked for xp home! and i didnt get a restore disc or a key!!

if your thinking of going in there DONT unless you want to be ripped off big time.

Microsoft said hes doing something illegal oh dear.

are they any good at mending broken light sockets?:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: