69 Alfred Road, Attercliffe

Does anyone remember Alfred Road ( mainly around No 69 ) which was on the corner of Weston Square based in Attercliffe - also it was Opposite Castor Road & also near to Canny Street, and by any chance of anyone who lived there and at what numbers.

I have finally located the old Attercliffe map from 1953 and i have found the home of my Great Grandmother Lily Agnes Scarborough / Tacey lived there with her husband Arthur James Tacey, otherwise known as Lucky Jim.

So if anyone can send me any information about this area and what it was like to live there i'd be VERY grateful.

James

i always thought alfred road was in brightside i was born just off don road

Does anyone remember '' Image Row '' ?

It was a row of houses with stone images above the doors or gennels. My Auntie would have known, but she died 18 months ago.

Ta.

Does anyone remember Alfred Road ( mainly around No 69 ) which was on the corner of Weston Square based in Attercliffe - also it was Opposite Castor Road & also near to Canny Street, and by any chance of anyone who lived there and at what numbers.

I have finally located the old Attercliffe map from 1953 and i have found the home of my Great Grandmother Lily Agnes Scarborough / Tacey lived there with her husband Arthur James Tacey, otherwise known as Lucky Jim.

So if anyone can send me any information about this area and what it was like to live there i'd be VERY grateful.

James

Hi James,

Have you read these books?

The one just published last year lists my grandparents in the back under Newark Street and has a lot about Amberley Road in it. You may give you more information about the area.

Once Round the Lump by Ann Sapcote (Paperback - 1 Jul 2006)

My Family and Other Morticians: & Other Stories from Off the Common by Ann Sapcote (Paperback - 26 Nov 2010)

hi my grandfather charlie wright and my father james arthur yates lived on alfred rd the bottom end opposite the old rag and bone yard not sure of the house number but my granddad used to go in the bricklayers arms hope this helps

HI JAMES!, my mum lived at 62 alfred road,she knew some scarbrough"s that lived on Don road. my mum is the youngest of ten,called Ashworth,she had a friend called marie scarbrough who is/was the same age (65). ive been searching for pictures of alfred road,but there doesnt seem to be any,only seen the 2 on sheffield council thingy! lol.

she always says there will never be such a community ever again,like the community spirit "downt cliffe". have a go at reading keith farnsworth"s new book,not sure what its called tho! sorry

hi my grandfather charlie wright and my father james arthur yates lived on alfred rd the bottom end opposite the old rag and bone yard not sure of the house number but my granddad used to go in the bricklayers arms hope this helps

The Rag and bone yard was w collins and is

still going in Rotherham today the Scarbroughs and Sharrocks and Wrights are now scattered over Firth park and lower shiregreen :roll:

The Rag and bone yard was w collins and is

still going in Rotherham today the Scarbroughs and Sharrocks and Wrights are now scattered over Firth park and lower shiregreen :roll:

the sharrocks are my relations and the scarboroughs distant relatives of mine.my family come from the cliffe i have happy fond memories of my childhood in the early 60s.

my maternal great grandmother was frances sharrock my great grandfather was william (bill]:)

Was Francis called Francis Clark Sharrock - Born 1898 and married a person called ( i only have the surname ) Merrills ??

I am sorry but my records say francis was male & thankyou for the correction. The other family members were - Father - Fred Clarke - Mother - Susannah Sharrock - The Children were - William J Clarke Sharrock - Lily Clarke Sharrock - Bertha Clarke Sharrock - Anna Clarke Sharrock - Francis Clarke Sharrock - Alice May Clarke Sharrock - Walter Clark Sharrock - Olive Clarke Sharrock - Luther Fredrick Clark Sharrock - Rose Clarke Sharrock - Alice Clarke Sharrock and finally my Grandmother Mary Clark Sharrock.

There are no marriage records for Fred & Susannah but there is a census record showing them living together - so my conculsions are that they never married and due to Susannah being a strong northern woman wanted the kids to have her last name and thought of giving the fathers last name as part of a middle name once they were registered.

I hope this helps? my last memory of meeting a Sharrock was - they were living at the bottom of the long path from Waltheof Road ( on the Manor ) around the manor park area on - Manor Park Cresent.

Was Francis called Francis Clark Sharrock - Born 1898 and married a person called ( i only have the surname ) Merrills ??

I am sorry but my records say francis was male & thankyou for the correction. The other family members were - Father - Fred Clarke - Mother - Susannah Sharrock - The Children were - William J Clarke Sharrock - Lily Clarke Sharrock - Bertha Clarke Sharrock - Anna Clarke Sharrock - Francis Clarke Sharrock - Alice May Clarke Sharrock - Walter Clark Sharrock - Olive Clarke Sharrock - Luther Fredrick Clark Sharrock - Rose Clarke Sharrock - Alice Clarke Sharrock and finally my Grandmother Mary Clark Sharrock.

There are no marriage records for Fred & Susannah but there is a census record showing them living together - so my conculsions are that they never married and due to Susannah being a strong northern woman wanted the kids to have her last name and thought of giving the fathers last name as part of a middle name once they were registered.

I hope this helps? my last memory of meeting a Sharrock was - they were living at the bottom of the long path from Waltheof Road ( on the Manor ) around the manor park area on - Manor Park Cresent.

frances amelia fox married william clarke sharrock,my great grandmother had a daughter clara..clara gave birth to a girl called shirley[my mother]my mother married kenneth morrell [my step father]its confusing i know but its the morrells link.