Water meter megathread

i own a large student house and had a meter fitted there. it does work out alot cheaper. You do have a few months to change your mind if it is woking out to be more expensive.

Unfortunately I have no idea when it was installed.... I'll ring up Severn Trent and ask if they know.

one day when i was in our haouse alone, and no appliances or taps using any water, i had a look at our meter

the smallest dial was moving.....

we had been getting large bills, £9+ per week i think

i asked the water board

they came and changed the meter

same thing

"you must have a leak"

they never did mend it, we owed £325 balance and we had been paying a DDM! - £28 pcm

p.s. we now do not have a meter, which is a godsend as we have had a combi boiler fitted, no hot water tank, and you have to run the hot tap for 3-4 minutes to get hot water, more waste.....

I live in a modest 3 bedroomed house which is rated at level B for council tax purposes. So why is Yorkshire Water charging me an astronomical £460 for my water supply next year ? I have often read that the average water bill ( all water suppliers - not just Yorkshire Water ) is around £200 - £250 per annum so why do I have to pay so much ? My son left home last year so there are now only two adults. We don't use a dishwasher but do like to keep our garden well watered in the summer. So would it be worth considering changing to metered water ? Can any of you give me a rough idea what you pay annually if you are on a meter ? And what happens if a leak occurs from a pipe that is situated on your property ? Do you have to pay for the lost water ? I'm undecided so please help ! Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply. :confused:

You can have a meter fitted, take readings (yourself) to monitor your usage and decide whether or not to go back to a flat rate, if you wish, within the first twelve months.

Your supplier would normally read and bill you once a year, which would be too late to make up your mind, so you should take a reading around month 10 and ask for a bill.

The only possible drawback is that, once fitted, the meter cannot be removed and when you sell, the new occupants have no option other than to be metered.

You may consider whether or not that will reduce the value of your future sale.

... Yes. You will pay for leakages on your side of the meter.

... if there is just two of you, a meter should save money. Will depend on your watering though. Get a few butts?

For any single people living in an upper story flat, try asking for a water meter. The answer should be no, but then you can ask for your charges to be assessed as if you did have a meter. I did this and achieved quite a reduction, so well worth trying.

i was watching the 'money saving expert' (forgot his name) on tv the other day, he said as a rule of thumb, if you have fewer people than bedrooms, a meter will be cheaper. As for the garden, buy a few water butts. :thumbsup:

I live in a modest 3 bedroomed house which is rated at level B for council tax purposes. So why is Yorkshire Water charging me an astronomical £460 for my water supply next year ? I have often read that the average water bill ( all water suppliers - not just Yorkshire Water ) is around £200 - £250 per annum so why do I have to pay so much ? My son left home last year so there are now only two adults. We don't use a dishwasher but do like to keep our garden well watered in the summer. So would it be worth considering changing to metered water ? Can any of you give me a rough idea what you pay annually if you are on a meter ? And what happens if a leak occurs from a pipe that is situated on your property ? Do you have to pay for the lost water ? I'm undecided so please help ! Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply. :confused:

stick witht he rates, meter is ok if you live on your own, but trying to sell the house after will give u problems

Think i'd stick to the rates if you're keen gardeners tbh.

I've just been on u switch and yorkshire water sites. and calculated how much we use. U switch asks more questions to which I answered a bit over the top. The results of both came to much the same, a saving of between £180 and £200 per year. We pay £560 for a detached house with 2 occupants. I'm going to opt for a meter and check it for a year. If it works out more you can have it taken out.