Water meter megathread

Im just asking because with the constant rise, in water rates each year, my son who is single and lives alone,was seriously thinking about having one put in.When you live alone you do not use as much water as a family with lots of kids.Has anyone had one put in and saved money on their water rates ?

I had a meter at my previous house (new build). I'm single and it cost me about £13 per month.

I've just got my water rates bill for my new house, and it's roughly double that, so I'm thinking of swapping to a meter too.

My boss has a wife and two children and says that even he saved money by having a meter fitted.

I had a meter at my previous house (new build). I'm single and it cost me about £13 per month.

I've just got my water rates bill for my new house, and it's roughly double that, so I'm thinking of swapping to a meter too.

My boss has a wife and two children and says that even he saved money by having a meter fitted.

Thanks for your very helpful advice Trashybook, I really appreciate it.

My bills halved when I had a meter fitted - despite my other half living in the shower, me washing cars and bikes a lot and having a large fish pond which needs topping up a lot in summer.

Don't hesitate - have one fitted!

hey pattie

water meters are definately cheaper (almost 1/3!) if you're a single person and don't have a garden to water!

hey pattie

water meters are definately cheaper (almost 1/3!) if you're a single person and don't have a garden to water!

Thanks Sol,saving almost 1/3 thats really good ! Not one person who has had one fitted says its worked out the same or dearer.Thats got to be a good thing,for anybody,not just single people.

are water meters more economical then normal standard rate? thank you

Not trying to state the obvious but it depends on how much water you use!

If you live on your own and shower then yes, if you live with lots of poeple then not having a meter probably saves you money.

Mod: Threads merged.

I moved from rateable to water meter. Just me and my 8 year old daughter but bills cut by 2/3 and i love my baths, put the washing machine on (a lot as im a mucky pup!) and use my dishwasher every other day!!! I'd recommend it!

According to Yorkshire Water when I spoke to them about it, a lot of the potential savings depend on the rateable value of your property.

For instance, I live alone in a terraced house with a very low rateable value. As a consequence of the low rateable value, if I had a water meter fitted and stopped using water altogether I could only save a maximum of about £25 yearly. Obviously this saving would reduce for every time I flushed the loo or had a shower.

For people like my grandmother though, who lives alone in a large semi with a much higher rateable value, there is the possibility of much higher savings as the standard bill starts off much higher.

Yorkshire Water have offered to fit a water meter, but it frankly doesn't seem worth the faff of installing and administering one with such a low possibility of savings.

One thing I've noticed is that since I've liveds somewhere with a water meter, I'm concious of how much water I use and try not to waste any. If I accidentally leave a tap running, when I come back all I can see is ten pence pieces dropping down the drain.