Sheffield Homes & Kier Repairs ?

Kier repairs  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Kier repairs

• good
    • could be better
    • totally garbage

I find it hard to believe that Kier's workmen are as described in some previous post's. These are the same hard working, dedicated workmen and women that did the work previously, when they were employed as Council workmen.

I dont understand? Why keep going with Kier is he is unsatisfied with their work. If its something to do with council tenancy etc, then if he is unhappy why doesn't he find a reputable private company and pay them like non council tenants have to?

The council wouldn't necessarily be happy with that even if the person could afford it, if anything went wrong the tenant would be held responsible and end up paying the council to put things right, don't forget its not his own home to pick and choose who does the repairs.

Is there a website that lists are all available council houses in Sheffield? And are there any in the nice area's of Sheffield?

Sorry, i am just trying to find the bit were i said i lived in a council house (not that it matters if i do or don't). Were would be a nice area of Sheffield?

Edited by AKITA

Hey guys,

Just to point out, there is a list of 'approved contractors' available from the council. These are private, but the council will foot the bill. However I think there are certain T's & C's about when they can be used.

All my experiences of kier have been good, although I know some people that have suffered. But not as many as under Lovell.

Hey guys,

Just to point out, there is a list of 'approved contractors' available from the council. These are private, but the council will foot the bill. However I think there are certain T's & C's about when they can be used.

All my experiences of kier have been good, although I know some people that have suffered. But not as many as under Lovell.

Yes there are, I believe that you can only use them if the council workmen have not done the work in the allotted time (that may be only one of the terms though) and I believe that you also still need their permission.

I see your point there, i had the same problems with connaught.

When they ruined the kitchen work they did, they had the cheek to say "what are you moaning about, your not paying for it doing".

I told them stight, that its my choice to rent and not buy. Just because i rent it does not mean i'm any less of a person then them, especially when i work longer hours and was probably paid more.

I eventually got most of their poor work man ship sorted, i was not supprised to find that they went in to administration. I was also told that the council sacked them and contracted lovell in their place.

That's disgusting. It should make no difference whether you own or rent your home, you are entitled to a decent service from curtious workers.

Maybe i'm biased (I lived with a Kier worker) but heres my take on it...

If something is wrong - report it. If they're rude/unpleasant etc - tell them so. Believe me, nothing is worse to a Kier worker than a report from a tennant, espeially one that hasnt said a word then reports them. I know that a few will keep their boots on for example, all it takes is a 'would you take your shoes off please' and 99% will say 'sorry' and take them off. Most, who i've met, are nice normal people. Yes there are a few which I dont doubt at all, who might not be nice/friendly/abit arrogant. But its simply a case of speaking up.

Doing anything, like trying to get the company out of Sheffield, will see thousands (come on, how many Kier vans do you see daily?) of Sheffield people out of work and signing on, til the next contractor appears and either uses people who are travelling from different cities (costing you more, as you foot their diesel bills in your rent/tax) or will re-hire the same Kier workers.

Alot of people, ive seen it time and time again, (the Kier worker I speak of, is gas section so example here) jobs get reported 'fire broken', Kier worker attends declares it unfixable, caps it off and orders a new one. Now if the stores dont order it in straight away, theres not alot the actual workers can do. The workers, who you see driving about have to wait for it. Once its been ordered you can almost guarntee on 50% of jobs the wrong part/appliance has been ordered. Yet people will 'vote' to get these 'shambles' workers out for taking too long. But is it their fault? Not really, its the stores fault for taking too long/ordering wrong item. I see the stresses of a Kier worker, who most will take the P out of with the old 'council workers' joke (I myself do this!) but underneath it isnt all rosey and good wages. They do slug their guts out. Well atleast what i've written, majority do. If you have a problem with some work, report THAT worker NOT the whole Kier team. And as for councils 'getting rid' for Kier, how come Barnsley (Bernslai Homes) Met Council have just got their own Kier force in on contractors for what I believe is a 10 year term?

so what is your problem with Sheffield Homes as far as i can see you have an issue with Kier maybe you could alter the title to reflect this

Maybe i'm biased (I lived with a Kier worker) but heres my take on it...

If something is wrong - report it. If they're rude/unpleasant etc - tell them so. Believe me, nothing is worse to a Kier worker than a report from a tennant, espeially one that hasnt said a word then reports them. I know that a few will keep their boots on for example, all it takes is a 'would you take your shoes off please' and 99% will say 'sorry' and take them off. Most, who i've met, are nice normal people. Yes there are a few which I dont doubt at all, who might not be nice/friendly/abit arrogant. But its simply a case of speaking up.

Doing anything, like trying to get the company out of Sheffield, will see thousands (come on, how many Kier vans do you see daily?) of Sheffield people out of work and signing on, til the next contractor appears and either uses people who are travelling from different cities (costing you more, as you foot their diesel bills in your rent/tax) or will re-hire the same Kier workers.

Alot of people, ive seen it time and time again, (the Kier worker I speak of, is gas section so example here) jobs get reported 'fire broken', Kier worker attends declares it unfixable, caps it off and orders a new one. Now if the stores dont order it in straight away, theres not alot the actual workers can do. The workers, who you see driving about have to wait for it. Once its been ordered you can almost guarntee on 50% of jobs the wrong part/appliance has been ordered. Yet people will 'vote' to get these 'shambles' workers out for taking too long. But is it their fault? Not really, its the stores fault for taking too long/ordering wrong item. I see the stresses of a Kier worker, who most will take the P out of with the old 'council workers' joke (I myself do this!) but underneath it isnt all rosey and good wages. They do slug their guts out. Well atleast what i've written, majority do. If you have a problem with some work, report THAT worker NOT the whole Kier team. And as for councils 'getting rid' for Kier, how come Barnsley (Bernslai Homes) Met Council have just got their own Kier force in on contractors for what I believe is a 10 year term?

Like ive said there is some genuine blokes, 2 of the best he says is a bricky and a gas bloke, but in all walks of life and society there is them that spoil it for the rest and he thinks they have a fair few more than there should be that think your getting what social housing deserves in there mind and some have stated as such.

just like Akita said.

so what is your problem with Sheffield Homes as far as i can see you have an issue with Kier maybe you could alter the title to reflect this

They work hand in hand you cant complain kier and get a satisfactory outcome as they are bed partners and act as such.