March 2011 Budget thread.

Correct. You`re a mug if you pay 6 quid odd for a pack of smokes when the bloke in the pub sells them for 2 quid.

Same thing, they just have arabic writing on.

Not really. Not the same quality control on the knock off fags as the full price ones.

You could be smoking anything, like the drug users who buy drugs cut with who knows what. :(

We're estimating that this "no change" will see duty and VAT on a pint rise above £1 for the first time, see 10p on a pint of beer and take the average cost of a pint above £3.[/i]

Pint of what though? I don't pay more than £2.40 - £2.60 for a pint of decent real ale.

And I see too many pubs advertising cat pee Fosters and Carling for £2.

It goes up on midnight the 28th. Slack reporting from the BBC.

Is that as a result of a previously-announced (as in about a year ago) deferred tax rise?

I'm sure it would simplify things in the long run, but it would mean the headline rate of income tax going up to 32% - and that is never going to look good!

Especially after two or so years they'll reinvent NI again, and many will apologise that it's necessary as the country is still on it's knees..

I'm surprised that this is such a small thread. Maybe it's because the budget was such a non-event, merely tinkering around the edges as the sagging edifice that is the British economy collapses in on itself.

also the rise to 50k for immigrants is another great move.

Why is it? They'll just forge documents to meet the rules

I'm surprised that this is such a small thread. Maybe it's because the budget was such a non-event, merely tinkering around the edges as the sagging edifice that is the British economy collapses in on itself.

That's the way it always is, just shovellinig money around and trying to influence public opinion. Nobody is going to be better off - what the Lord giveth in one hand he taketh away from the other; usually more going out than what's coming in.

That's the way it always is, just shovellinig money around and trying to influence public opinion. Nobody is going to be better off - what the Lord giveth in one hand he taketh away from the other; usually more going out than what's coming in.

Basic rate taxpayers will pay a bit less tax, some none at all with the raising of the tax thresholds. So they will be a wee bit better off than if there had been no change. The same doesn't apply to the higher thresholds for the over 65s, they aren't being increased in the same way.

Also, over 60s need to be aware that the winter fuel allowances are going down, from £250 - £200, and from £400 - £300 for the over 80s.

I think its a very limited budget, but I hope the proposed help for first time buyers genuinely helps them to get homes, especially as there won't be a sudden increase in available social housing.

Not really. Not the same quality control on the knock off fags as the full price ones.

You could be smoking anything, like the drug users who buy drugs cut with who knows what. :(

They all give you cancer ....so what diffrence does it make. I guess the cheap ones could have more chemicals and kill you slightly quicker.

I think basic rate taxpayers will be around £4 per week better of with the raising of the threshold.