March 2011 Budget thread.

I would like to say I'd like to see a decrease in a pint of beer, but considering most places I go to sell real ale for £2.40 a pint, is there really any need?

The measures announced in the March 2010 budget will mean 4p on a pint of beer, 15p on a bottle of wine and 54p on a bottle of spirits according to HMRC figures.

The Independent online has forecast a 17p increase in a packet of cigarettes and up to 10p on a pint of beer.

17p omg i think its time to pack the ciggies in..:)

17p omg i think its time to pack the ciggies in..:)

...or buy them from Knock off Nigel ;)

...or buy them from Knock off Nigel ;)

Correct. You`re a mug if you pay 6 quid odd for a pack of smokes when the bloke in the pub sells them for 2 quid.

Same thing, they just have arabic writing on.

Well I certainly won't be in a rush to get a job.

1p off a litre of fuel Mr Chancellor? that will hardly cancel out the fact that the price of fuel has gone up 5p a litre in the past 4 weeks, and is predicted to go up by another 5p a litre over the next 5 weeks. (so in effect a 9p alitre increase)

1p off a litre of fuel Mr Chancellor? that will hardly cancel out the fact that the price of fuel has gone up 5p a litre in the past 4 weeks, and is predicted to go up by another 5p a litre over the next 5 weeks. (so in effect a 9p alitre increase)

And the rest!

I filed up my bike this afternoon and the pre-tax price of petrol has gone up yet again.

The increase here so far this year is about 26% before taxes.

The chancellor said there was to be no change in the duty on alcohol which according to the Guardian CAMARA has taken to mean planned rises will go ahead.

Was reported as

Wondered if it's worth making it clear that when Osbourne said "no change" to alcohol duty (and this is how it's been reported by yourselves and other media) - he actually should have said "we'll continue with the duty escalator which sees a 2% rise above inflation on alcohol duty every year"?

We're estimating that this "no change" will see duty and VAT on a pint rise above £1 for the first time, see 10p on a pint of beer and take the average cost of a pint above £3.

Same old,same old.There penny pinching as ever.Soon it will be too dear to go to the pub for a beer hence loss of buisness hence pub closures hence loss of jobs!!!

if everyone had that attitude then there would be problems

I'm so glad to hear that. Your pearls of wisdom elevate SheffieldForum threads to ever greater heights.

hit the addicts hard at a time like this is a great Idea!!

make non sobar simon pay more for his fixes, at a time like this we really cant be messing about and need to get to it, leaving cigs and alcahol at the same price would have been stupid.

also the rise to 50k for immigrants is another great move.