F1 2011 Season Thread

The best news to come out of the BBC/Sky deal is that Ben Edwards will replace Martin Brundle as lead commentator at the BBC.

But with Brundle, David Croft, Anthony Davidson, Ted Kravis and Natalie Pinkham all jumping ship, they had to do something to prop up their commentary team, and with the whole of the radio team leaving, that's where the challenge to find replacements will be (especially with the BBC saying you'll still be able to get live commentary on 5 live).

Former world champion Kimi Raikkonen has injured his hand in a crash in a snowmobile race but his Lotus team say the Finn is not seriously hurt.

The 32-year-old is returning to Formula 1 with Lotus in 2012 after two years in the world rally championship.

The team, who raced as Renault in 2011, said on Twitter: "Kimi is absolutely fine. There's nothing to worry about, he only has a sore wrist.

"He might have it checked again on Monday, but that's all."

Raikkonen's return to F1 with Lotus was announced less than two weeks ago, and team boss Eric Boullier has said that signing the 2007 world champion should be taken as a mark of their ambition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16131089.stm

Nearly another driver lost for Renault.

Thankfully only sore wrist but could of been worse perhaps.

But with Brundle, David Croft, Anthony Davidson, Ted Kravis and Natalie Pinkham all jumping ship, they had to do something to prop up their commentary team, and with the whole of the radio team leaving, that's where the challenge to find replacements will be (especially with the BBC saying you'll still be able to get live commentary on 5 live).

I know a lot of people didn't like Jonathan Legard on the TV coverage but I always thought he was pretty good on the radio.

The best news to come out of the BBC/Sky deal is that Ben Edwards will replace Martin Brundle as lead commentator at the BBC.

I thought Brundle was very good :huh:

He was good but Edwards is better :)

The BBC have definitely got the better duo calling the action next season. David Croft is an awful choice for lead commentator - my dream lineup would be Edwards as lead and Brundle as co-comm, I'm baffled why Sky didn't sign him up.

I know a lot of people didn't like Jonathan Legard on the TV coverage but I always thought he was pretty good on the radio.

He's rumoured to be returning to 5Live.

I was reading the latest Autosport magazine and they say Legard and Allen will be part of the 5Live team. They also mentioned Ben Edwards would replace Brundle and this was confirmed yesterday. If I was the BBC I'd have James Allen as pit lane reporter, he did a fine job in this position for ITV.

Sahara Force India have announced reserve driver Nico Hulkenberg will step up to join Scotland's Paul di Resta in their 2012 team.

Hulkenberg, 24, will replace German compatriot Adrian Sutil, who has been tipped to join Williams.

The Silverstone-based team tweeted: "It's official! One of the most exciting pairings on the grid."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16222284.stm

Pretty much as expected.

Expected and welcomed for me. I think both of them can deliver in spades next year.

Oh christ nooooooo.

Jamesallenonf1 James Allen

#f1 It's official-I'm taking on role of F1 correspondent for BBC Radio 5 Live. V happy to work with a great institution in interesting times

Oh christ nooooooo.

Jamesallenonf1 James Allen

#f1 It's official-I'm taking on role of F1 correspondent for BBC Radio 5 Live. V happy to work with a great institution in interesting times

Glad I won't be bothering with it for a while.

Some potential good news on the horizon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16442297.stm

The future of the European Grand Prix in Valencia is in doubt after the city's government indicated that it wants to renegotiate its race fee.

Jose Ciscar, vice-president of the Generalitat Valenciana, said he was embarking on a "complete and thorough review" of the major events budget.

Valencia has a contract to host the race on a street circuit on the city's waterfront until 2014.

Ciscar does not rule out cancelling the race. "We do not discount anything."

He also said that he would be contacting F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone to discuss the city's wishes.

The move makes Valencia, which is reputed to pay in the region of 25 million Euros (£20.6m) a year to host the grand prix, the second race to ask Ecclestone to reduce F1's fees.

Hopefully no more of the Valencia yawn fest.

Robert Kubica has suffered another setback in his return to Formula 1 after breaking his right leg in an accident near his house his Italy.

It is the same leg he broke in a high-speed rally crash almost a year ago.

The 27-year-old faces a month in plaster before undergoing an operation to have a metal screw inserted just above his ankle.

Reports claim that he lost his footing on an icy street in Pietrasanta, near the coastal town of Viareggio.

Kubica missed the whole of the 2011 season following the crash during the first stage of the Ronde di Andora rally.

He was driving a Super 2000-specification Skoda Fabia when his car left the road at high speed and hit a crash barrier.

Having been cut out of the vehicle before being airlifted to hospital, the Pole underwent several operations to repair the damage to his partially severed right forearm and numerous fractures to his right elbow, shoulder and leg.

He is now out of contract with his former team Renault after it was announced last year that he would not be ready to return by the start of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16521193.stm

How awfully unlucky he is.

Not sure he will return to F1 now.