Why does Avast suddenly hate SF?

Well mines sorted

So is mine too now, are we missing an ad down the side though? not that it matters, I have never clicked on one in 5 years.

Try removing your exclusion now i updated engine and definitions first dont know if thats anything to do with it though

At a guess, it'll be one of the flash ads that Avast is detecting as infected. It'll be a false positive more than likely.

Your idea might be correct as I don't have any problems. I'm running Avast, but I also have Flashblock as an add-on to Firefox. Flashblock is great as it allows you to block all those dancing, flickering, juming up and down animated things that vie for your attention on the screen. You need never see them again :thumbsup:

It's also available for the Google Chrome browser.

Here's the Firefox version - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

Avast appear to have released the fix - update your definitions, remove the exclusions, and the site should work fine again.

Mine is working in any case.

Well mines sorted[/quote

So is mine too now, are we missing an ad down the side though? not that it matters, I have never clicked on one in 5 years.

Not sure if ive any missing never looked at them so cant remember pmsl

Avast appear to have released the fix - update your definitions, remove the exclusions, and the site should work fine again.

Mine is working in any case.

Too late beet ya hahahahaha

Oh well all ends well fingers X

Too late beet ya hahahahaha

Oh well all ends well fingers X

Well done :) Funny thing - if we all weren't reading a techie site, none of us would have had noticed the problem in the first place, as the fix would have come through seemlessly anyway.

Well done :) Funny thing - if we all weren't reading a techie site, none of us would have had noticed the problem in the first place, as the fix would have come through seemlessly anyway.
yes that true.Makes you wonder how many deleted there Avast for another waiting for someone to say fxxk i reformated lol

im not really a techie type.

can someone explain if this was actually a virus or just avast throwing its toys out of its pram?

i did a scan with avast and it came up with 182 'infected' files all from SF and all were HTML:iframe-inf.

i didnt reformat though!!

no wonder so many people worldwide get Computer virus is this thread is anything to go by.

your anti virus software showed a possible problem so your response was to work out how to disable your software.

i had the same result last night from Avast. my answer was to not use SF until it no longer showed the potential problem. IF SF had been virus ridden, today i would still have a clean PC. can some of you say the same?

my point is.

if your anti virus software says there's a problem the correct response is not to disable the software.

there was clearly a problem last night as our copy of firefox running on linux reported a problem as well.

I'm glad that Avast have confirmed that it was an issue with their definitions, not our advertising, but in future if this sort of thing happens please email me to let me know.

We have a policy not to allow any ads which contain spyware or anything that could harm users' computers, but there's always the possibility that something could get through our controls or someone could post something that brings up a warning, so we'd rather know about it as soon as possible.

My email address is medusa@sheffieldforum.co.uk

Now this has been confirmed to be an Avast problem rather than an SF problem I'm going to close this thread.

Thank you to everyone for bringing this to our attention.